Music Streamers

A Lark Ascending

Listening booths were particularly important because a) you just couldn't afford to make a mistake in infrequent purchases of LPs and b) there was really no other way of hearing before buying. Radio at the time hardly played any pop outside the narrow mainstream and hardly any modern jazz. It wasn't until the pirates came along, Peel included, that you stood a chance of hearing anything interesting. In one sense the rarity value of hearing 'new' music added too the excitement of the times unlike now when you can't escape the stuff!

There used to be a fairly decent CD shop in the main street in Newquay but I doubt it's still there. Haven't been to Newquay in years.

The three when I was there were an electrical shop just up from the station which had the best choice; Woolworths which was actually good in those days; and what I recall as a musical instrument shop that also did LPs. Looks like this today:

i4_-igzRLtwor6smUASFcrn1vRj6JFmgo_Qh3Sdt

Though it might have changed to this since I was there last:

22678395.jpg

Must have been a Tardis - I'm sure they had pianos in there! 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Apart from the thread subject, congratulations on retirement, Bev. The dedication to a life of teaching is one of the more noble paths a life can take, imo. I was trained for it, then when it came to to commit, said oh HELL no, becuase I knew I wasn't up to the task, not in the right way.

Over the years, I've read your comments about teaching, the state(s) of education, frustrations/rewards, etc., and I feel pretty sure that if you would have had occasion to teach my kids (and that would have been..how many different worlds different from this one?), I'd have told them going in to shut up, pay attention, and learn something from this man, he's got something to give you, take it as the gift that it is.

So onward into not having to do that any more. I hope retirement's rewards take a less circuitous route to your heart than those of teaching, but I also hope that they end up as deeply meaningful.

Apart from the thread subject, congratulations on retirement, Bev. The dedication to a life of teaching is one of the more noble paths a life can take, imo. I was trained for it, then when it came to to commit, said oh HELL no, becuase I knew I wasn't up to the task, not in the right way.

Over the years, I've read your comments about teaching, the state(s) of education, frustrations/rewards, etc., and I feel pretty sure that if you would have had occasion to teach my kids (and that would have been..how many different worlds different from this one?), I'd have told them going in to shut up, pay attention, and learn something from this man, he's got something to give you, take it as the gift that it is.

So onward into not having to do that any more. I hope retirement's rewards take a less circuitous route to your heart than those of teaching, but I also hope that they end up as deeply meaningful.

I echo this completely, Bev. Have a very happy retirement. If you're like me, your time will be swiftly swallowed up volunteering (in my case at the Royal Cornwall Museum in Truro).

Thank you both for the kind wishes. 

I loved the job I did though I never felt it any more noble than anyone else's job. In my last ten years in particular I had some lovely Post-16 classes (16-18) where you really could engage with history in some depth. The warmth displayed when I left overwhelmed me. 

The frustrations were nearly all government inflicted - yes, I met many an annoying kid (sometimes whole classes of them) along the way but in the end you always knew there were reasons for their awkwardness (normally government inflicted!). 

Left at exactly the right time, still enjoying and competent but I could feel the mental arthritis setting in and didn't fancy having to make another set of exam changes (government inflicted!). 

All I'd say to anyone at work now is try to find some money at the end of the month to squirrel away as retiring at 60 is not going to be easy in the future. Some people need to go on (look at all those musicians in their 60s and 70s!) but for most you're going to want to scale down or stop. Make sure you can do it.

The piece of equipment I use for this:

Mac_Mini_35536140_35522798_35440708_3552

Mac Mini used as the primary component of my stereo system/entertainment system.  Been using this setup for the past 5 years and I'm perfectly content.  The mini hooks up to my primary stereo receiver and the only other components are my 38 year old Technics turntable and a blu-ray player.  The majority of my music listening is run from the Mini, except for LPs and some audio blu-rays.  The mini also takes care of all my TV streaming via Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and any other content I find on the internet.  Having all my computer, audio & video needs combined into one simple setup has been wonderful and it's perfect for studio apartment living.  

Edited by Shawn

Good luck in the future, Bev.

Thank you.

The piece of equipment I use for this:

Mac_Mini_35536140_35522798_35440708_3552

Mac Mini used as the primary component of my stereo system/entertainment system.  Been using this setup for the past 5 years and I'm perfectly content.  The mini hooks up to my primary stereo receiver and the only other components are my 38 year old Technics turntable and a blu-ray player.  The majority of my music listening is run from the Mini, except for LPs and some audio blu-rays.  The mini also takes care of all my TV streaming via Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and any other content I find on the internet.  Having all my computer, audio & video needs combined into one simple setup has been wonderful and it's perfect for studio apartment living.  

There are so many reliable and convenient ways of accessing music now.

Very different to my early days when I had something like this:

703919350_tp.jpg

Records would skip, vinyl quality was variable (especially after the 1973 oil crisis). 

When I moved around as a student from uni to home at end of term I was never without one of these:

$_86.JPG

Given that 'home' was an RAF base in Germany I developed long arms.  

I'd have killed in those days for the convenience and reliability that is standard now.