Dave Pike RIP

JSngry

I've been wondering about him since picking up my first Dave Pike album, Times Out of Mind, last month and listening to it several times.  Joe Locke speaks enthusiastically about a track from It's Time for Dave Pike in his blindfold test in the latest issue of DownBeat,  With the rhythm section of Barry Harris, Reggie Workman and Billy Higgins, I'm surprised that I don't have it yet.  I'll be checking out more of Pike's music in the future.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Pike, and rest in peace.

Somewhat ambivalent about the Dave Pike Set (and Pike in general) ... four of the MPS studio albums (all but "Album" if I'm not mistaken) were reissued by Universal Germany in 2011 (part of the "Most Perfect Sound" edition that should rather have revived stuff like the Archie Shepp and Cecil Taylor albums, but it is what is, or rather was what it was).

As a group, the quartet is pretty good, they're groove, rooted by J.A. Rettenbacher's soulful double bass and the flexible beats of Peter Baumeister, is really nice, while Pike and Volker Kriegel weave their lines and textures in and out of it ... as soloists, none of them holds my attention. Makes for good background listening and I guess if you're into that stuff it could be a nice sonic texture for some kinds of trips ...

415NRb73cSL.jpg

There was also one live album, reissued by Promising Music (the label that also brought "Dear Prof. Leary", "Fly Fly Fly Fly Fly" or "Afro-Disiaca" back but no longer has access to MPS masters now the ownership changed) - I guess I'd recommend that one ... or maybe the "Masterpieces" compilation from Motor Music (who did some MPS reissues in the mid 90s) - used copies available: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000024S2O

Edited by king ubu

I do appreciate the blatant disregard for avoiding the shin-revealing socktop line.

Good one, Jim. That made me laugh.

Revealing shins or no, that's one UGLY cover.  Puts me in the mind of Pepto-Bismol.

EDIT:
No disrespect intended towards the musicians. Can't say that I'm on board with the graphic artist or the photographer though.

Edited by HutchFan