Reissues of February 24

Brad

These are coming out tomorrow, courtesy of BN/Capitol:

Cannonball Adderley-Ernie Andrews - Live Session

Stan Kenton - Back to Balboa

Benny Carter - Sax a la Carter

Johnny Smith - Moonlight in Vermont

George Shearing Quintet with Nancy Wilson - The Swinging's Mutual

I'd like to pick up the Johnny Smith (since I don't anticipate getting the Mosaic for awhile) but I don't know the others.

Any comments?

Any recommendation for the Benny Carter?

That Benny Carter was originally released on UA. It was reissued by Blue Note France in the late '70s. Excellent 1960 quartet date with the fine rhythm section of Jimmy Rowles, Leroy Vinnegar and Mel Lewis. Benny Carter is the Master! There is a superb version of 'Everything I Have is Yours'.

Thanks Brownie, I think I saw this one on ebay once but hesitated because I feared it might be Benny with a vocal group or something weird like that. If you believe AMG, Yanow makes it out as if Carter recorded no jazz whatsoever between the Granz dates and Further Definitions, then took another decade off before recording again ...

I don't think I ever heard a bad Benny Carter album-the man had consummate good judgment about what he recorded, and you can hear it starting on his earliest leader dates (Classics 1929-1933). I owned the Shearing-Wilson lp years ago. This was young Nancy at her most popular stage, and Shearing is a master at working with others-very enjoyable.

I've been listening to this and it's very nice. It's undestated but Benny seems to be a master of this. It took me a couple of songs to get into it but once I did I really fell in with the countours of the date. What impresses me is the rhythm section, especially Jimmy Rowles. He doesn't get in Benny's way and the support he give (plus the solos he takes) are just right. They all mesh very well. Glad I picked this up.