It's About That Time, Again

danasgoodstuff

I always thought that it was Little Richard who got the kids horny, but The Fleetwoods who best captured what they hoped it would be like once they actually got around to doing it.

Ok, other than "Come Softly To Me", ehhhh...but that one record has -still has - more pure sexlove mojo than all cockrockers' lifetimes combines. It's a wave of continuous opening and closing in and out between male and female, come softly to me, hear what I'm saying, please hold me all through the night, and at the end, no words, just that sound...cosmically perfect tender lovesex.

If nothing else, put the record in, not the group. But damn rock and roll, all the people that made babies with that record in their minds and all the babies that THOSE babies made have pretty much made your business possible, so...time to recognize, that's all I'm saying. Time to recognize.

I always thought that it was Little Richard who got the kids horny, but The Fleetwoods who best captured what they hoped it would be like once they actually got around to doing it.

Ok, other than "Come Softly To Me", ehhhh...but that one record has -still has - more pure sexlove mojo than all cockrockers' lifetimes combines. It's a wave of continuous opening and closing in and out between male and female, come softly to me, hear what I'm saying, please hold me all through the night, and at the end, no words, just that sound...cosmically perfect tender lovesex.

If nothing else, put the record in, not the group. But damn rock and roll, all the people that made babies with that record in their minds and all the babies that THOSE babies made have pretty much made your business possible, so...time to recognize, that's all I'm saying. Time to recognize.

I've got a thought for you - the most radical thing about R n R vocal groups was that they made the backgrounds more important than the leads, "Dum Dum, dum ah do dum..." democracy in action, so to speak.

The best background vocals in that era drove the thing like a sax section in the big band days..all the lead vocal had to do was ride that pad and fly! (hello The Ravens!). "In The Still Of The Night", sure, you got a song there, but is it really necessary? Perhaps not!

What gets me about "Come Softly To Me" is the part where the women hit those sforzando notes, the only really "loud" thing on the record...it's like a sudden gasp that has to be quieted, because, you know, somebody might hear. SO real.

Looking at these guys in photos and on the Bandstand video, I have no idea if they really knew what they were doing, much less the extent to which they were doing it, but they did it, for real. and if it really was as naive as that they had no idea, that makes it even more better. Just innocence, instinct and imaginatio. Think about that, Rock AND Roll Hall OF Fame, innocence, instinct and imagination.

ELO should only get in if they make it a combo Move/ELO induction.  I have no particular argument with the others, no particular thing for them either.  Nile Rogers should be in as a producer/session player but how much of an actual group were Chic (whatever that means)?  Spinners, yes, long dues paid and excellence, even if some of it was Thom Bell & other supporting players.

Chic was a core band long enough to matter. Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards, and Tony Thompson. Solid, quite often innovative music under the sheen. The way they took that stuff apart and put it back together ws pertty serious, even though the top sounded like it was anything but.