„Killer“ Ray Appleton 1941-2015

HolgerFreimutSchrick

Sad news. His Sharp Nine CD is quite nice, as is Naptown Legacy which I believe features Brian Lynch.  And I've got a couple of Small's performances with groups similar to what Joel saw in East Harlem, streamed and converted to CDR.  I'll definitely be giving those a listen soon.  RIP.

Oh shit. Very sorry to hear this. 

Ray recommended me to Slide Hampton, with whom we did several gigs together over the years starting in 1983. We also did a week at Sweet Basil with Buddy Montgomery on vibes.

Ray had a longstanding relationship with both Buddy and Slide, and of course Freddie Hubbard - all Naptown guys. He had a serious no-nonsense beat - like right up your ass.

Sorry to hear that Ray has died. I agree with Dan's comment about the Sharp 9 and Naptown Legacy CDs. Another one I have with him as leader is" Latin Dreams" on the Lineage label. Ray also does a good job as a sideman on Mel Rhyne's "Front and Center"on Steeplechase, and Rhyne's "Remembering Wes" on Savant.

R.I.P.

• 6 years later...