Upcoming NYC shows for Me

On 7-11-2015 22:52:34, Steve Reynolds said:

Had to cancel Village Vanguard tonight?

BUT - replacing w/Turbine! on 11/17 - 7:30 @  Zurcher Gallery 33 Lafayette Street

Harrison Bankhead & Benjamin Duboc on basses; Ramon Lopez & Hamid Drake on drums, percussion - Steve Swell joins for second set on trombone. 

YEAH BABY! Disappointment turns to joy - nothing in this world better than seeing/hearing Hamid Drake in a nice little room and little will be better than seeing Harrison Bankhead for the first time in over 15 years. Plus the 2 bass/2 drum idea is something I'm all in on. 

Will have to wait on seeing Zorn, Laswell etc. as sometimes life shows up 

a little note for next year - next August at a The Stone - Joe Morris calendar includes Drake all week plus McPhee, Maneri, Taborn and many other greats and a couple or three two drummer shows with Cleaver & Drake!! Plus one set is Malaby, Morris, Parker & Drake. 

plus the last night is 2 sets of Morris, Maneri, Lightcap & Cleaver

wish it all was sooner than 9 months from now!

If I can make it work, I will see the Morris, Maneri, Lightcap, Cleaver band on 4 december in the Bimhuis Amsterdam. They will play the second set, first set will be the Alexander von Schlippenbach trio (which is not bad either :D )

5 hours ago, niels said:

If I can make it work, I will see the Morris, Maneri, Lightcap, Cleaver band on 4 december in the Bimhuis Amsterdam. They will play the second set, first set will be the Alexander von Schlippenbach trio (which is not bad either :D )

That's one hell of an evening's programme. Von Schlippenbach trio are my favourite live jazz group now that Brotzmann's Chicago Tentet is no longer). Morris et al will need to be on fire to follow them

That quartet has a secret weapon:)

I hope I can put into some sort of words what happened last night. What I will say is that the *great* Steve Swell added to the ensemble seamlessly and the energy level increased from the first set. I will also say that my wife gave Hamid a big hug and for her, it was simply the best concert she has ever experienced.

for me I can say something about Mr. Harrison Bankhead. It's been a while since I've seen him and I guess I've not understood what he is capable of. I cannot explain why he started by simply using the plug on his amplifier cord to play music or why or when he sings or vocalizes just as I cannot explain how he instantly composed or introduces song form melodies into a free jazz improvisation in ways that I've never heard before. Nor can I start to tell anyone who wasn't there how stunningly gorgeous were those melodic excursions or insertions. And when that first set ended (before the short duo with Ramon & Hamid) with the following said or sung twice, why did I feel tears of joy?

Swing Low, baby

• 2 weeks later...