Joe Castro Box Set on Sunnyside

kh1958

On 3/3/2020 at 0:09 PM, Niko said:

Just had a look at the discography section of the webpage for the older Joe Castro box

https://www.joecastrojazz.com/discography

there were quite a few sessions added recently with a code "Sunnyside SSC tbs" in the last column - which I assume is at least closely related to the stuff in the second box. The material from the old box has a "Sunnyside SSC 1391" there. No new material with Getz, so if I had to guess where the delay is coming from... Otherwise, it looks like sufficient material for more than one box set... there's a CD of 1956 Paul Bley in there (solo and in a trio w Hal Gaylor and Lennie McBrowne), some material by George Handy, and, predictably, a lot more Joe Castro... some with Teddy Edwarts, some where Castro sits in as the pianist in the Chamber Jazz Sextet...

Excellent sleuthing ... and I have an update from my buddy Bret - Box Set 2 now expected "Fall 2020".

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I figured I'd see an email from Sunnyside/Bandcamp but haven't seen one. What's your source KH?

An email from Sunnyside that came this morning relating to an Adam Nussbaum new release; it's at the very bottom in small print.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yes there will be more Teddy?

Back in March Niko noticed that there were new notations on the Joe Castro discography. Now, you can go here:

https://www.joecastrojazz.com/discography

And look for  Sunnyside SSC 1393

First disc is Castro trio
Second is Paul Bley solo and trio then Flo and George Handy and Flo and George Handy Orchestra
Third Disc Joe Castro with Ray Ellis Orchestra and Neil Hefti Orchestra (Cannon and Nat are on the latter though it indicates these had an Atlantic release?)
Continuing chronologically we have Castro Sextet recordings but the discography is back to the "SSC tbs" notation that Niko noted, not the new catalog # so, sloppy update TO discography or not actually part of the new box? NO Teddy on these sessions and I don't recognize the horn players at all
There's also a "jam session" with Ann Richard vocal
TBS notation for what appears to be the Groove Funk Soul session with Teddy - appears to be two new tunes, two unissued alternates
Then more trio tracks for a Clover Records session - Kitty White vocal with bass accompaniment - marked "demo" - Bob Cooper Ensemble for overdub - Kitty White w.Art Simmons - this is in Europe and Nathan Davis is in the orchestra
And now, finally, we get three tracks with Teddy, one is marked overdub the other two are with Kitty White

And that's it.  Overall very disappointing that they seem to have started and stopped the update of the discography/release information. I honestly can't say I'll pre-order this but I guess will go for it at some point. 

There seemed to be some color coding in the headings for sessions between Box 1 and Box 2 but just as they have left SSC-tbs in place in the latter half of the discography, they also haven't updated the color coding on the latter half of the disco. 

Does anyone else think that the discography has been changed with some deletions? I could swear I'd seen Dexter jam sessions when first perusing this thing and hoping they would come out. I think there might have been Cannonball jam sessions too. Were they only in the text?

well, there was this very crude listing that Castro Jr posted somewhere on the internet (p.2 of this thread for details) at some point between the Fantasy CD with Zoot and the first boxset, let me copy once more

Stan Getz-Zoot Sims-Gerry Mulligan-Oscar Pettiford (amazing)
*Billy Higgins-Teddy Edwards-Lucky Thompson-Leroy Vinnegar-
Teddy Wilson-Dexter Gordon-Anita O'Day-Chico Hamilton-
*Zoot Sims w/ Teddy Wilson
*Stan Getz w/ Teddy Wilson
Buddy Colette-Red Mitchell-Jimmy Gourley-Chuck Wayne-
Lou Levy-Ron Jefferson-Mel Lewis-Jack Sheldon-Buddy Jones-
Allen Eager-Philly Joe Jones-Paul Chambers-Vernon Alley-
Monte Budwig-Paul Motian-Sonny Truitt-Gary Frommer-George Handy.
*Oscar Pettiford-Lucky Thompson-Zoot Sims-
*A 50-minute ‘avant garde’ piece by Chico Hamilton that mixes classical & jazz.

here, I added stars for stuff that's in the first set back then... there are a bunch of interesting names in here that apparently didn't make into either set, Dexter, Allen Eager, Lou Levy... the only hint at what's now apparently in set #2 is the name George Handy... I don't think there've been deletions in the discography, at least not compared to the version from March... not vouching for every single take of "Everything happens to me" being still there but I've checked it regularly over the years and am pretty sure that no truly interesting session has disappeared... Dexter Gordon I would definitely remember...

regarding those obscure horn players, that's basically the "Chamber Jazz Sextet" which recorded quite a bit around 1960, e.g. behind poet Kenneth Patchen... saxophonist Modesto Brisenio is also on Teddy Edwards' Back to Avalon session

Edited by Niko

The greats that aren't out are mentioned in the text:

Musicians recorded at Duke Farms:
Nat Adderley cornet; Julian Cannonball Adderley alto saxophone; Joe Castro piano; Sam Jones double bass; Philly Joe Jones drums. Probably mid April 1957.

Jack Sheldon trumpet; Joe Castro piano; Bob Bertaux double bass; Richie Frost drums.
Jack Sheldon trumpet; Zoot Sims tenor saxophone; Joe Castro piano; Bob Bertaux double bass; Richie Frost drums. Probably late 1954.
Jack Sheldon trumpet; Zoot Sims, Bob Cooper tenor saxophones; Joe Castro piano; Tom Brocato double bass; Richie Frost, Gary Frommer drums. Probably Friday, December 31, 1954.

Joe Castro piano; Jimmy Gourley guitare; Morris Edwards double bass; Jimmy Pratt drums. Wednesday, August 31, 1955.
Joe Castro piano; Jimmy Gourley guitar; Monte Budwig double bass; Jimmy Pratt drums. Thursday, September 1, 1955.

Billy Byers trombone; Zoot Sims, Allen Eager tenor saxophones; Gerry Mulligan baritone saxophone; Buddy Jones double bass; Sol Gubin drums. Probably end of October 1955.

But I didn't see Dexter?

The News page of the site lists out additions and changes made on the site, which is nice to see such an acknowledgement. No mention though of changes to those listings. 

https://www.joecastrojazz.com/thenews

I guess we have to hope for a third box in another five years? 

BTW just tried to use their contact form to ask about the Adderley, Dex and Sheldon tapes ... and got this: