Masabumi Kikuchi reissues

Harbour

As a fairly recent convert to Japanese jazz this series in tribute to the late Masabumi Kikuchi is most welcome, I discovered him through the work he did with Gary Peacock, Voices & Eastwards.

the Joe Henderson is wonderful, somehow had never heard that one.

v affordable too, though the series name is a tad unfortunate!

http://www.discogs.com/label/909924-We-Remember-Poo

Besides the album with Joe Henderson, which was already in my CD Japan cart, I thought Ginkai (Silver World) was most interesting. If you hadn't started this thread, I probably would not have ordered Ginkai. :tup

• Shakuhachi – Hozan Yamamoto
  • Piano – Masabumi Kikuchi
  • Bass – Gary Peacock
  • Drums – Hiroshi Murakami
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Edited by erwbol

Welcome to the Board.

As for this series, I got all of them except for Poesy and Silver World, thinking that the sound palette may be too limited.  Same goes for the two Peacocks that I saw were coming out (Voices and Eastward).  I assume you guys are going to talk me into all four?

The ones that I have opened (I am slowly savoring and also, enjoying the new Billy Cobham box as well as the great Chris Dingham release from a few months ago) have been great.  So nice to have this stuff in a physical format rather than rips from the net.

I am a recent Japanese Jazz convert over the last two years and have been really enjoying the discoveries.  Kikuchi and Hino are at the center for me but still a lot to learn.

Homefromtheforest, are you familiar with "Matrix" ? I have not heard that one, and wonder how it fits stylistically.

Jay - Silver World and especially Voices are albums of mystical power to me. Poesy and Eastward are good too but Voices is very special IMO.

And if those work for you I then suggest Paysages by Sadao Watanabe and S'posin by Helen Merrill.

Is Kikuchi on "s'posin"?  I thought Sato was the pianist on that date but I have not played it in 10 years; a good reminder to pull from the shelves..it's a nice album for sure.  "Voices" is a great session too along with "paysages".  

I used to have an ugly reissue of "matrix" on catalyst but got rid of it years ago because it was such a cheap pressing with an ugly cover.  I now have a burn of it from an original Victor and will definitely buy the forthcoming vinyl reissue with original cover art.  It's a hard one to describe..it's definitely similiar to the records that came after but to my ears it sounds a bit more relaxed and spare/economical.  Worth checking out for sure.