The Cornett

papsrus

I've become interested in this instrument, used in Renaissance and Baroque musics.

320px-Three_cornetts.jpg

Made of wood and leather with a cup mouthpiece, it delivers a very pure, singing tone akin to a cornet, I suppose, but much more voice-like and with a sweeter, mellower overall sound. At the hands of a skilled player -- of which there are relatively few, apparently -- you can get some really dazzling displays of virtuosity. Anyways, I'm interested in finding some recordings where the instrument is featured. I've ordered several after previewing them at amazon and spotify but would like to explore further. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Giovanni Gabrieli -- "Sonate e Canzoni / Concerto Paletino," which seems to be celebrated as much for the period organ that is used (in the Basilica of San Petronio in Bologna) as for the cornett here;

2Q==41418BAXJVL.jpg

"Quel Lascivissimo Cornett, Virtuoso Solo Music for Cornetto" (which, the title speaks for itself). The performer is Bruce Dickey, who seems to be well-regarded;

51Xi5uqrzPL._SX425_.jpg

And "La Bella Minuta" (also Dickey)

81mbStfbmyL._SX425_.jpg

It's a start, but information on recordings is a bit thin so I'm wondering if anyone has any recs worth exploring?

Edited by papsrus

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed the chop suey, and the red shoes. Interesting fellow, Ng -- wise choice to abandon culvert projects in favor of rare music. 

There's an informative discussion of the improvisational flair of the instrument in the booklet with the "La Bella Minuta" disc above. And of course the regional preferences of the various music being written for it. Among the pieces Dickey selects are those by Venetian organist Giosoffo Guami (16th C.), chosen in part for their elaborate written out ornamentation in the soprano parts.

The instrument was much celebrated in the 16th Century, with virtuosos among the highest paid musicians. And there was lots of music written for the instrument flying around. But it disappeared fairly quickly for reasons that seem murky and has only recently been revived. 

Edited by papsrus