Don Rendell's health

clifford_thornton

This from the Ian Carr website:

"The great Don Rendell passed away on Tuesday, 20 October, 2015 in London following a short illness at the age of 89. In addition to co-leading the award-winning and ground-breaking Rendell-Carr Quintet, Don had played in many groups beginning in the 1940s before joining the Johnny Dankworth Seven, after which he led several bands including The New Don Rendell Quintet with Graham Bond on alto, which recorded the seminal album Roarin'. The five truly iconoclastic Rendell-Carr Quintet albums recorded in the 1960s under the aegis of the Svengali-like Denis Preston for his Landsdowne series, catapulted the RCQ into top position for small jazz group for three years running from 1967-1969 in the Melody Maker jazz polls (British Section). Don was a major figure in British jazz and will be sorely missed." RIP Don

What a great shame - it was just the other day that I was wondering how he was getting on, after the sad news concerning Coleridge Goode.

A great legacy to leave though and over 50+ years ! RIP, will be spinning some of his fine recordings this weekend. Starting with Rendell/Carr.

Sorry to hear the news concerning Mark Murphy too. RIP.

Edited by sidewinder

89 is a good age but still incredibly sad news, one more giant gone!

I loved the Carr/Rendell group and as a youngster played Dusk Fire and Phase III until they were virtually transparent! I think I'll play them again now.

Hope Ian & Don are together in heaven.