Storyville Records

EKE BBB

Some interesting upcoming reissues by Storyville / Jazz Unlimited, scheduled for March & April (according to Jazzmatazz):

Thad Jones & the Danish Radio Big Band - Live at the Montmartre: A Good Time Was Had By All (Storyville) Mar 4

— recorded live in Copenhagen in 1978

Various Artists - The Jubilee Shows, Vol. 9 (Storyville) Mar 4

— Earl Hines/Peggy Lee/Les Paul Trio/The Town Criers

— two Armed Forces Radio Service programs recorded in early 1945

Benny Goodman - On the Air: Original 1935-36-38 Broadcasts (Storyville Jazz Unlimited) Mar 4

— Camel Caravan broadcasts

— featuring Goodman, clarinet/Harry James, trumpets/Gene Krupa, drums/ Martha Tilton, vocals/Lionel Hampton, vibes/Teddy Wilson, piano

Bunny Berigan - The Radio Years 1937-40 (Jazz Unlimited Storyville) Apr 6

Artie Shaw - Spotlight Band (Storyville) Apr 6

— 32 tunes (71 min) released on CD for the first time

— five radio broadcasts from shows performed for the U.S. Armed Forces at California military bases in 1945

— musicians includes Roy Eldridge, Dodo Marmorosa and Barney Kessel

EDITED to change the topic title

Edited by EKE BBB

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some of those already, and yesterday I received:
  1. Duke Ellington and His Orchestra: The Treasury Shows, Vol. 9 (a 2-disc set)
  2. Grover Mitchell Big Band (recordings made in 1978, '79, and '80)
  3. Wild Bill Davison with Eddie Condon's All Stars: Live! 1955 Miami Beach

Jazzmatazz is not always updated, Chris!

How are the ones you have?

Benny Goodman - On the Air: Original 1935-36-38 Broadcasts (Storyville Jazz Unlimited) Mar 4

— Camel Caravan broadcasts

— featuring Goodman, clarinet/Harry James, trumpets/Gene Krupa, drums/ Martha Tilton, vocals/Lionel Hampton, vibes/Teddy Wilson, piano

Bunny Berigan - The Radio Years 1937-40 (Jazz Unlimited Storyville) Apr 6

As far as I know, none of the Bunny Berigan with Goodman Caravan shows have made it to cd, have they???? My Dad has a record somewhere of a Caravan show with Bunny, but the sound quality was just terrible!!! Will have to keep an eye out for the Radio years cd! Thanks for the 411 (The Information!)

• 4 weeks later...

I have some of those already, and yesterday I received:
  1. Duke Ellington and His Orchestra: The Treasury Shows, Vol. 9 (a 2-disc set)
  2. Grover Mitchell Big Band (recordings made in 1978, '79, and '80)
  3. Wild Bill Davison with Eddie Condon's All Stars: Live! 1955 Miami Beach

These three are scheduled to be out on May (according to Jazzmatazz). They´re not available at cduniverse yet. I guess yours are promo copies, Chris ????

Wild Bill Davison with the Eddie Condon All Stars - Live! Miami Beach 1955 (Storyville) May

— first time on CD; 70 minutes; with Pee Wee Russell

— compositions by compositions by W.C. Handy, Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong and Hoagy Carmichael, among others

Duke Ellington - The Treasury Shows, Vol. 9 - 2 CDs (Storyville DETS) May

— three 1945 radio broadcasts; 140 minutes

— soloists include Johnny Hodges (alto sax), Lawrence Brown (trombone), Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet), Ray Nance (violin) and Rex Stewart (trumpet)

Grover Mitchell - Big Band (Storyville) May

— two LPs recorded between 1978 and 1980 on one CD

— arranging and most compositions by Mitchell

— musicians include Al Aarons, Henry Coker, Britt Woodman, Buddy Collette and Red Callender

I hope that this means that Storyville will carry on even though its founder has died.

At Storyville it's business as usual--at least as close to usual as it could be without Karl Knudsen. Fortunately, Mona Tanager, Karl's right-hand woman of many years, is running things. She knows the company inside out and I feel comforted by the fact that she is hanging in there (she had talked of retiring a few years back).

Eventually, of course, the company will be sold. I fear the worst when that happens and Karl's spirit evaporates.

As some of you know, my association with Storyville goes back over fifty years, to the time I used my early B&O tape recorder to make the label's first recordings (Ken Colyer's band). For that reason, and because of the close friendship I maintained with Karl through all those years, I almost feel as if I were losing a part of my life--but not yet. Let's hope Storyville is taken over by someone who cares, not a corporation.

How can you find out when record labels, publishing rights and other related items are up for sale/on the auction block. Not that I have the cash to dole out for something like my own record label (not until the Jeannie comes along), but wonder how the 'general' public can find out info such as this...

• 4 weeks later...

According to their website, APRIL RELEASES:

Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five

Jordan.jpg

Louis Jordan - alto saxophone and vocals, Eddie Johnson, Josh Jackson – tenor saxophone, Eddie Roane, Aaron Izenhall – trumpet, Arnold Thomas, Bill Davis, Bill Doggett – piano, Po Simpkins,, Dallas Bartley, Bob Rushnell - double bass, Shadow Wilson, Chris Columbus, Joe Morriss – drums, Peggy Thomas, Bixie Crawford - vocals

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL / DADDY-O / FIVE GUYS NAMED MOE / BUZZ ME / SAFE, SANE, AND SINGLE / DANNY BOY / KNOCK ME A KISS / CHOO CHOO CH’BOOGIE / ON THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE STREET / IS YOU IS OR IS YOU AIN’T MY BABY? / DON’T LET THE SUN CATCH YOU CRYING / ALL FOR THE LOVE OF LIL / HOW LONG MUST I WAIT FOR YOU? / BROKE BUT HAPPY / TEXAS AND PACIFIC / THAT’S WHY WE CAN’T AGREE / SOMETIMES I’M HAPPY / I LIKE ‘EM FAT LIKE THAT / DON’T WORRY ‘BOUT ME / THE DRIPPY DRIPPERS / JUMPIN’ AT THE JUBILEE / CALDONIA

This is the first time this music is being released on CD. The 22 tunes on this CD (68 min.) are from three radio broadcasts in Los Angeles in 1943, 1948 & 1949. The repertoire features many Louis Jordan original compositions. Louis Jordan was tremendously popular in the U.S. at the time of these recordings and all through the 50’s.

During the period when these recordings were made, he was at the peak of his musicianship, showmanship and popularity. Louis Jordan combined showmanship and musicianship; he was a marvelous instrumentalist and vocalist, radiating plenty of musical energy on stage, and he could be very funny. Included on this CD are some of his most popular tunes, like for instance "Five Guys Named Moe". The style of the music is mostly up-tempo swing jazz and rhythm & blues, with plenty of humor.

LABEL: Jazz Unlimited

CATALOG NUMBER: 201 2080

GENRE: swing jazz, rhythm & blues

BARCODE: 717101208029

The Noble Art Of Teddy Wilson

Teddy.jpg

Teddy Wilson (p), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (B), William Schiøpffe, Bjarne Rostvold (dr)

Shiny Stockings / Undecided / Like Someone In Love / Imagination / I Hadn’t Anyone ‘Till You / Fools Rush In / If I Had You / I’ve Got A Feeling I’m Falling / You’re Blasé / When You’re Smiling / Easy Living / Prelude To A Kiss / My Silent Love / You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me / Paradise / My Heart Stood Still / Serenata / Indiana / April In Paris / Deed I Do / Autumn In New York / Ain’t Misbehavin’ / Serenade In Blue / It’s All Right With Me

Of the 24 tunes on this 76-minute CD, the first six are previously unreleased; the rest were originally released on two Storyville LP’s. All the tunes were recorded in studio sessions in Copenhagen in 1968. The repertoire consists of famous jazz standards. Teddy Wilson is accompanied by Denmark’s (and one of the world’s) best bassists – Niels-Henning Ørsted Petersen – and two of Denmark’s top drummers – William Schiøpffe and Bjarne Rostvold. Teddy Wilson was the most important pianist of the swing era, but his music is timeless and just as wonderful today. As this CD amply illustrates, Teddy Wilson was the absolute master of touch, taste, technique and elegance.

LABEL: Storyville

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8371

GENRE: swing piano jazz

BARCODE: 717101837120

Papa Bue’s Viking Jazzband Hamburg 1970/71 – A tribute to Finn Otto Hansen

Bue.jpg

Arne "Bue" Jensen – trombone, Finn Otto Hansen – trumpet, Jørgen Svare – clarinet, Jørn "Jønne" Jensen – piano, Bjarne "Liller" Petersen - banjo & vocal, Jens Sølund – bass, Knud Ryskov Madsen – drums, John Mogensen - vocal

Darkness On The Delta / On The Sunny Side Of The Street / Tar Paper Stomp / Lazy River / Down In Chicken Town / Roses Of Picardy / Down By The Riverside / That’s My Home / C.C. Rider / High Society / Entertainer Rag / Out Of Nowhere / White Cliffs Of Dover / Basin Street Blues / Just A Little While To Stay Here

This is the first time these German radio broadcasts from 1970-71 with Papa Bue’s Viking Jazzband are being released. The music on this 62-minute CD (15 tunes) is mostly traditional jazz, with a little blues, ragtime, and some evergreens. Papa Bue’s band was about 15 years old - and one of the most popular trad jazz bands in Europe - at the time of these recordings. Finn Otto Hansen is one of Denmark’s finest trumpet players of all time – just listen to his wonderful dynamics and laid-back style on "Out of Nowhere". There is wonderful enthusiasm and energy in the band’s music, and it swings like mad. After listening to this CD one can understand that today – after almost fifty years – Papa Bue’s Viking Jazzband is still one of the most popular trad jazz bands in Europe.

LABEL: Storyville

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 4256

GENRE: traditional jazz

BARCODE: 717101425624

...and MARCH RELEASES:

Thad Jones Eclipse

8372.jpg

Trumpets: Erik Tschentscher, Tim Hagans, Lars Togeby, Egon Petersen, Jan Glæsel

Trombones: Ture Larsen, Thad Jones, Axel Windfeld, Richard Boone, Bjarne Thanning, Niels Neergaard

Saxes: Ole Thoger Nielsen, Jörgen Nilsson, Michael Hove, Bent Jædig, Sahib Shihab

Rhythm Section: Jesper Lundgård (bass), Horace Parlan (piano), Ed Thigpen and Bjarne Rostvold (drums), Emmanuel Rahim (congas)

Vocals: Richard Boone

BASICALLY YOURS / TO YOU / SNICKERDOODLE / I CAN’T GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE / HONKY PUNK / THIS BASS WAS MADE FOR WALKING / BABY, I CAN’T GET OVER YOU / I HOPE THIS TIME ISN’T THE LAST / ARRIVAL / SCRAPPLE FROM THE APPLE / LA SOLITUDE / MY CENTENNIAL

Thad Jones – one of the best and most successful big band leaders in the U.S. since the mid-sixties – moved to Denmark in the late 1970’s and put together his own new 19-man big band, Eclipse, drawing on the absolute best talent among the top Danish musicians, plus several famous American musicians living in Denmark at the time.The American musicians in the band are pianist Horace Parlan, alto and baritone saxophonist Sahib Shihab, drummer Ed Thigpen, trombonist Richard Boone, conga player Emmanuel Rahim and trumpeter Tim Hagans.

Six of the twelve tunes (72 min. playing time) are recorded in the studio in 1979; six are recorded live in the Slukefter Club in Tivoli Gardens. This is the first time this music is being released on CD.

Of the twelve numbers on the CD, Thad Jones wrote four of them and arranged eight. The musical style is be-bop and "modern" big band.

Besides his beautiful tunes and arrangements, Thad Jones’ intense enthusiasm, positive attitude and dynamic leadership brought out the absolute best in his carefully-chosen musicians, and they loved playing for him.Thad Jones was very happy with his "Danish" big band, too. He said. "This is the most concerned, dedicated group of musicians that I have ever worked with … I’m playing with some of the finest musicians I know."This is high-energy modern big band music that swings like mad – great tunes and fine arrangements, with plenty of space for the excellent soloists.

LABEL: Storyville Records

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8372

GENRE: modern big band jazz

BARCODE: 717101837229

The Blues of Robert Lockwood Jr. & Boogie Bill Webb

BOOK_8055_O1.jpg

Robert Lockwood, Jr. – guitar & vocals

Boogie Bill Webb – guitar & vocals

Harmonica Slim - vocals

In The Evening When The Sun Goes Down / Come On Baby, Take A Walk With Me / Exactly Like You / Driving Wheel / They Gonna Ball Tonight / Kind Hearted Woman / She’s Little And She’s Low /

Lockwood’s Boogie / Angel Child / Blues With A Feeling / Harmonica Blues / One Room Country Shack / Hoochie Coochie Man / I’m Gonna Leave Here In The Morning / I Thought I Had Myself A Good Woman

This 53-minute CD is the first time these two live New Orleans club-recordings from the mid-eighties are being released, featuring deep-South bluesmen Robert Lockwood,Jr. (from Arkansas) and Boogie Bill Webb (from Mississippi).

Robert Lockwood, Jr. is said to be the only blues guitarist ever to receive lessons from the legendary bluesman Robert Johnson and is considered the premier interpreter of Robert Johnson’s songs today.

Boogie Bill Webb’s style combines his down-home Mississippi roots – particularly influenced by Roosevelt Holts and Tommy Johnson - with a mixture of New Orleans-style blues. Lockwood’s is a solo concert, featuring him on 12-string guitar and vocals; Webb’s is also a solo acoustic guitar concert, with assistance by fellow bluesman Harmonica Slim on vocals.

CATALOG NUMBER: STCD 8055

GENRE: blues

BARCODE: 717101805525

Art Tatum Live 1951- 53 Vol.6

Book_8336_O21.jpg

Art Tatum – piano

Everett Barksdale – guitar

Slam Stewart - bass

Tenderly / Flying Home / The Man I Love / On The Sunny Side Of The Street / Sweet Lorraine / Tea For Two / Tenderly / Out Of Nowhere / Body And Soul / Sweet Lorraine / Tea For Two / Moonglow / Tenderly / I’ve Got The World On A String / September Song / Body And Soul./ Where Or When / Taboo

The music on this 71-minute CD (18 tunes) with Art Tatum is previously unreleased.

The music was recorded during four live broadcast sessions in New York City –

at Cafe Society, Birdland and the Bandbox - between 1951-1953.

Sixteen of the numbers are in trio format with Everett Barksdale on guitar and Slam Stewart on bass; the last two numbers are piano solos by Art Tatum.

The repertoire performed consists of popular tunes and jazz standards of the day.

Art Tatum was a genius; his piano-playing is incomparable; he is one of the greatest American musicians of all time - in any genre.

Keeping up with Art Tatum’s intricate style was a great challenge for his side-men; in this respect, guitarist Everett Barksdale was possibly the most successful of all Tatum’s side-men in finding Tatum’s wave-length.

The juxtapositions of musical ideas, rhymes, rhythms and syntax fly by so quickly that they are practically impossible to grasp and digest all at once – therefore this CD deserves to be heard again and again in order to appreciate it fully.

Tatum’s endless musical ideas prevented him from ever playing a tune the same way twice: just try listening to the three versions of ”Tenderly” on this CD!

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8336

GENRE: swing piano jazz

BARCODE: 717101833627

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Agustin,

this sounds like a real winner:

"Lester & Hawk Jam Sessions Plus

1945/6 Hollywood

Murray McEachern, leader, directing: Bobby Hackett, Manny Klein, Emmett Berry, Frank Riley (tpt), Vic Dickenson, Ray Conniff, Henry Coker (tbn), Corky Corcoran, "Babe" Russin (ts), Willie Smith, Lem Davis (as), Jack Martin (bs), Leo "Scat" Watson (p & vo), Slim Gaillard (g), "Bam" Brown (B), Nick Glicco (dr). Slim Gaillard introduces the soloists.

1. SONNY BOY (Jolson-DeSylvia-Brown-Henderson) 10:09

As above, Peggy Lee (vo) added.

2. YOU WAS RIGHT, BABY (Peggy Lee) 2:55

Bobby Hackett (tp), Willie Smith (as), probably same rhythm as before

. 3. SEPTEMBER IN THE RAIN (Warren) 3:11

Buck Clayton (tp), Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins (ts), Kenny Kersey Irving Ashby (g), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

4. I GOT RHYTHM (George Gershwin) 9:32

Lester Young (ts), probably same rhythm as before.

5. D.B. BLUES (Lester Young) 4:36

Coleman Hawkins (ts), probably same rhythm as before.

6. BODY AND SOUL (Green-Sour-Heyman) 4:36

Same personnel as for "I Got Rhythm".

7. OH, LADY BE GOOD (George Gershwin) 4:56

Buck Clayton (tp), Probably Kenny Kersey (p), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

8. MY OLD FLAME (Coslow-Johnston) 4:38 Helen Humes (vo) acc. by above listed group. 9. DON'T BLAME ME (Fields-McHugh) 4:09 10. UNLUCKY WOMAN (Helen Humes) 3:29

Buck Clayton (tp), Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins (ts), Kenny Kersey (p), Irving Ashby (g), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

11. SWEET GEORGIA BROWN (Bernie-Pinkard-Casey) 9:07

Jubilee Show No. 186: Hollywood, March or April, 1946

Willie Smith, Benny Carter, Charlie Parker (as), Nat "King" Cole (p), Oscar Moore (g), Johnny Miller (B), Buddy Rich (dr).

12. Tea For Two (Vincent Youmans) 2:50

13. Body And Soul (Green -Sour-Heyman) 2:43 14. Cherokee (Ray Noble) 2:57

Jubilee Show No. 192: Hollywood, April, 1946

Buck Clayton (tp), Probably Kenny Kersey (p), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

8. MY OLD FLAME (Coslow-Johnston) 4:38

Helen Humes (vo) acc. by above listed group. 9. DON'T BLAME ME (Fields-McHugh) 4:09

10. UNLUCKY WOMAN (Helen Humes) 3:29

Buck Clayton (tp), Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins (ts), Kenny Kersey (p), Irving Ashby (g), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

11. SWEET GEORGIA BROWN (Bernie-Pinkard-Casey) 9:07

Jubilee Show No. 186: Hollywood, March or April, 1946

Willie Smith, Benny Carter, Charlie Parker (as), Nat "King" Cole (p), Oscar Moore (g), Johnny Miller (B), Buddy Rich (dr).

12. Tea For Two (Vincent Youmans) 2:50

13. Body And Soul (Green-Sour-Heyman) 2:43

14. Cherokee (Ray Noble) 2:57

Amazing cd with excellent sound (remastered by J R T Davies)

The Jam Sessions 1945-46 A Jumpin' Jubilee on Jazz Unlimited

JUCD 2054 (Storyville)"

• 4 weeks later...

Treasury broadcast No. 18. Radio City Studio 6B, NYC - August 11, 1945

1. (Theme)Take the "A" Train
  2. What Am I Here For?
  3. Blue is the Night
  4. Ellington Bond promo
  5. The Wish I Wish Tonight (vocal Joya Sherrill)
  6. Someone
  7. (Theme)Take the "A" Train
  8. Harlem Air Shaft
  9. Out of This World (vocal Kay Davis)
  10. Midriff
  11. Everything but You (vocal Joya Sherrill)
  12. Ring Dem Bells
  13. Mood to be Wooed
  14. Ellington Bond promo
  15. Emancipation Celebration--into broadcast close

NBC broadcast from The New Zanzibar, NYC - September 26, 1945

16. (Theme)Take the "A" Train
  17. Suddenly It Jumped
  18. Laura
  19. Kissing Bug (vocal Joya Sherrill)
  20. Stompy Jones
  21. Solid Old Man
  22. Carnegie Blues
  23. In a Mellotone
  24. Fancy Dan
  25. (Theme)Take the "A" Train and close

Treasury broadcast No. 19. Radio City Studio 6B, NYC - August 18, 1945

1. (Theme)Take the "A" Train
  2. Work Song - from Black, Brown, and Beige
  3. Ellington Bond promo
  4. The Blues (vocal Marie Ellington)
  5. West Indian Dance- from Black, Brown, and Beige
  6. Ellington Bond promo
  7. Come Sunday/Light- from Black, Brown, and Beige
  8. (Theme)Take the "A" Train - intpo station break
  9. (Theme)Take the "A" Train - and broadcast return
  10. Subtle Slough
  11. Ellington Bond promo
  12. Blue Skies
  13. I Ain't Got Nothin' but the Blues (vocal Al Hibbler and Kay Davis)
  14. Riff Staccato (vocal Ray Nance)
  15. Bugle Breaks
  16. Kissing Bug (vocal Joya Sherrill)
  17. Ellington Bond promo
  18. Suddenly It Jumped
  19. Warm Valley into broadcast close

CBS broadcast from the 400 Restaurant, NYC - May 4, 1945
  20. (Theme)Take the "A" Train
  21. I Miss Your Kiss
  22. He's Home for a Little While (vocal Joya Sherrill)
  23. Riff Staccato (vocal Ray Nance)
  24. I Ain't Got Nothin' but the Blues (vocal Al Hibbler and Kay Davis)
  25. I'm Beginning to See the Light (vocal Joya Sherrill)

"The Jaywalker" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra 1966-1967

1. The Shepherd
  2. Up Jump
  3. Rue Bleu
  4. Chromatic Love Affair
  5. Salomé
  6. Blood Count
  7. El Viti
  8. Kixx
  9. Eggo
  10. I'm Hip Too
  11. Amta
  12. Warr
  13. Little Purple Flower
  14. Traffic Cop
  15. Untitled Blues
  16. Policia
  17. The B. O. of Traffic
  18. Mac
  19. Traffic Extension
  20. Star
  21. Cross Climax
  22. B. O. Man
  23. Tin Soldier

Cootie Williams, Cat Anderson, Herbie Jones, Mercer Ellington (trumpets);Buster Cooper, Lawrence Brown, Chuck Connors (trombones); Jimmy Hamilton (Cl. and tenor sax); Russell Procope (alto sax and cl.); Johnny Hodges (alto sax); Paul Gonsalves (tenor sax); Harry Carney (baritone sac, cl. and bass cl.); Duke (piano); John Lamb (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums). Track 7:RCA Studios, NYC - March 29, 1966

Track 23: Add Emmanual Abdul-Rahim (conga) and replace Woodyard with Rufus Jones. RCA Studios, NYC - August 18, 1966.

Tracks 14-22: Same as track 23 except Bobby Durham replaces Rufus Jones. RCA Studios, NYC - March 23, 1967.

Tracks 8-13: Chris Columbo replaces Bobby Durham. April 4, 1967.

Tracks 1-6: RCA Studios, Los Angeles - June 23, 1967

Here are a couple of Ellington Storyvilles I received today. I'll furnish details if anyone is interested...

Thanks for the heads up. :tup. The "Jaywalker" album appears to have plenty of songs not usually in the Duke's repertoire.

More Ellington discs to add to the wishlist. :o