Frog Records

EKE BBB

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Crompton - if you are reading this - I think you vastly underestimate those Sonny Clay recordings - as a matter of fact, there is a trumpeter on there whom people like Larry Gushee consider to be one of the closest links to Buddy Bolden, no kidding.

Allen - would you know the name of the abovementioned trumpeter (was it Ernest Coycault?) - I'm currently listening to this CD (picked it up out of historical interest & I'm glad I did) - his band was "thrown" out of Australia in 1928 - interesting liner notes

I also highly recommend the recent DE release "The Washingtonians, 24-28" -> SQ vastly improved on previous issues (that I have) - looking forward to the new Ellington

The McKinney's Cotton Pickers (3CD) was also part of my most recent order - another great set (JRT Davies mastering)

Jeff Crompton - if you are reading this - I think you vastly underestimate those Sonny Clay recordings - as a matter of fact, there is a trumpeter on there whom people like Larry Gushee consider to be one of the closest links to Buddy Bolden, no kidding.

Allen - would you know the name of the abovementioned trumpeter (was it Ernest Coycault?) - I'm currently listening to this CD (picked it up out of historical interest & I'm glad I did) - his band was "thrown" out of Australia in 1928 - interesting liner notes

Coycault is who Allen is talking about. I've listened to the album again since he posted this - that's all I'll say, except that I'd like to know more about why Gushee thinks there's a Bolden/Coycault connection.

Since I never really responded to this, I will now. I just listened to all the Sonny Clays that have Ernest Coycault on them. Since he reminded of Freddie Keppard, I followed this with the more-or-less complete works of Keppard.

I called the Clay CD "good, solid, second-tier jazz of the time - worth hearing by anyone interested in 1920's/early 30's jazz, but not essential." That still seems pretty accurate to me, considering that there were lots of bands recording at the time who made better music. After doing some reading on Coycault, I will modify my opinion to the extent of saying that it's very interesting to hear a New Orleans trumpeter (Coycault didn't grow up in New Orleans, but St. Bernard Parish is close enough to count, in my book) whose style developed in the very early days of jazz. Listening tonight, I heard more similarities between Coycault and Keppard than I had noticed before. So then I turned to Keppard....

Okay, Keppard on record is pretty inconsistent. But on his best recordings, like the Cookie's Gingersnaps sides and his own Jazz Cardinals sides, there's a fire there - that same extra something that separates Coltrane from his imitators. This is getting into the mystical aspect of music - the part of music that goes past the notes into whatever is beyond that. But when Keppard was at his best, I couldn't keep still. "Love Found You For Me" is a really corny old song, but what the Gingersnaps played in the last chorus just got all over me - and Keppard was the major part of that. By contrast, I found Coycault interesting. Keppard gets under my skin 90 years after he recorded; Coycault doesn't.

But he's interesting, and yes, anyone interested in early New Orleans jazz should check him out. And I would be very interested to hear what Gushee has come up with. Is there anything published about the Coycault/Bolden connection I could read? Nothing I've read about Coycault mentions Bolden.

Edited by jeffcrom

• 6 months later...

Just now reading your notes above (Jeff) — thanks for posting. I'm glad I posted the Sonny Clay image above last year!

Also wanted to alert fans of this label that importcds currently has 75 Frog titles listed (in stock) for $12.55. That's pretty good for this label. I'll be adding one or two more Bessie Smiths. I only have Vols. 2 and 5. Any recommendations for particularly strong volumes from this series? (Besides "all of them!")

Anyone in Australia happen to watch the recent Chris Masters (investigative journalist) series "The Years That Made Us - Australia Between The Wars" on the ABC (aired late June & July - 3 parts).

The first episode covering up to 1929 included a segment dedicated to Sonny Clay's visit here, his band (including Ivie Anderson) & their subsequent expulsion/deportation from Australia (photos & interesting re-enactment).

Couldn't believe my eyes when this appeared on the screen but apparently this was big news here at the time.

Just now reading your notes above (Jeff) — thanks for posting. I'm glad I posted the Sonny Clay image above last year!

Also wanted to alert fans of this label that importcds currently has 75 Frog titles listed (in stock) for $12.55. That's pretty good for this label. I'll be adding one or two more Bessie Smiths. I only have Vols. 2 and 5. Any recommendations for particularly strong volumes from this series? (Besides "all of them!")

Vol. 7 has Kitchen Man a song not to be missed if you don't mind the double entendre. Catherine Russell shied away from singing the complete lyrics on TV in the Netherlands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI-7em5eupQ&feature=channel. It has Eddie Lang on guitar.

Vol. 7 has "Kitchen Man," a song not to be missed if you don't mind the double entendre.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm listening to sound samples as I type; sounds really good (though, for some reason, Lang's guitar playing has always driven me crazy; to me, his eighth notes sound like someone limping). Your comment on entendre reminds me of a review I just read on Bo Carter: "Master of the single entendre" — I had to laugh at that.

I love Bessie Smith's voice. I can listen through a whole CD of hers and never feel bored. Honestly, the only other singer I can say that about is Billie Holiday.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
2 hours ago, paul secor said:

Any duplication with the Canadian Forte 2CD-set, Louis with Fletcher Henderson-The Complete Recordings Including All Alternate Takes 1924-1925?

12 hours ago, paul secor said:

I don't have the Forte set, so I don't know, Hans.  Here's the info on the Frog website: https://www.frog-records.co.uk/products/fletcher-henderson-his-orchestra-do-that-thing

And the Amazon link I posted has a review with some information.

I have the Forte, and it looks like (from that list) about the last half are on the Forte.

It would seem that the Frog draws from only Vocalion and Pathe, while the Forte in offering the complete Armstrong with Henderson offers 65 tracks released on about 16 other labels.  That would include alternate takes issued separately.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎14‎-‎7‎-‎2018 at 4:37 PM, J.A.W. said:

Any duplication with the Canadian Forte 2CD-set, Louis with Fletcher Henderson-The Complete Recordings Including All Alternate Takes 1924-1925?

The Forte is a 3 CD set and has all takes but one take. They missed out on one take of Naughty Man wich is included on the Jazz Oracle CD 'A gift from the president'.

On the new Frog 11 of the 25 tracks are with Armstrong. They are all on the Forte set. The sound of the Frog is great. It seems to me that the Frog Fletcher Henderson is a continuation of the two Fletcher Henderson issues on Timeless Historical. The announced vol. 3 1924-1925 never appeared. Though this will probably will be the second volume on Frog.

• 3 years later...
The Frog Blues & Jazz Annual No 6: Musicians, Records, Music of the 78 eraAnnual6New_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1666185545
  • The Frog Blues & Jazz Annual No 6: Musicians, Records, Music of the 78 era

The Frog Blues & Jazz Annual No 6: Musicians, Records, Music of the 78 era

SKU: FB&JA6

• $41.00$41.00
  •  

Quantity
 Add to Cart

The Frog Blues and Jazz Annual No 6. edited by Paul Swinton has arrived!!  A long, long wait, but in plenty of time for this Christmas, 

Due to an astronomical rise in printing costs… and medical bills, we are publishing this last edition of the Frog Blues & Jazz Annual in limited numbers – so please put your orders in at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.

We will begin to dispatch orders next week and get them out to customers as soon as is humanly possible. Please be patient (most of you have waited more than two years for this – so a couple of extra days shouldn’t hurt! 😊 and please also be aware that - as always – there is a huge interest in this publication – so the skeleton staff down at Frog H.Q. will be burning the midnight lamp to cope with the expected onslaught.

We are immensely proud of this, the last, bigger and better Frog Annual. Comprising of 224 ‘art-house’ pages packed with new research, features and articles by such notable authors and aficionados as David Butters, David Evans, Brian Goggin, Chris Smith, Paul Swinton, Alex van der Tuuk, Gayle Dean Wardlow, Jerry Zolten and many others., plus our popular feature 'American Roots Artwork’ showing some of the incredible work of Max Hoeffner.

There are more than 340 rare photographs and vintage advertising – all beautifully restored. Plus a complimentary disc – featuring recorded rarities, unissued takes and classic blues and jazz performances from the 78 era and beyond.

Took its time, but we told you it was coming! 

Track List:

1. Rob Cooper – West Dallas Drag
  2. Sam Morgan’s Jazz Band – Short Dress Gal
  3. Chas Creath Jazz-O-Maniacs – Butter-Finger Blues
  4. Lonnie Johnson – Fussin’ and Frettin’ (unissued test)
  5. Lonnie Johnson – Tomorrow Night (Paradise version)
  6. Tommy Johnson – Cool Drink Of Water Blues
  7. Clifford Gibson – Don’t Put That Thing On Me (unissued test)
  8. Walter Rhodes – Crowing Rooster
  9. Joe Robichaux & His New Orleans Rhythm Boys - Saturday Night Fish Fry Drag
  10. Earl Hines & His Orchestra -  Cavernism  #B
  11. Abe Lyman – Weary Weasel
  12. Memphis Jug Band – Whitewash Station
  13. Memphis Minnie & Memphis Jug Band - Bumble Bee Blues
  14. Paramount All Stars - Hometown Skiffle #2 Unissued fragment
  15. Paramount All Stars - Hometown Skiffle #3
  16. Roger ‘Burn Down’ Garrett – Eaton Clan (field recording)
  17. Louisiana Five – Slow & Easy
  18. Bix Beiderbecke – At The Jazz Band Ball
  19. Jimmy Blythe – Mister Freddy (previously unheard version from Paramount test)
  20. Odell Hall – Fragment & Slow Blues (field recording)
  21. Odell Hall – See My Baby (field recording) 
  22. Jabbo Smith & His Rhythm Aces – Band Box Stomp
  23. Clarence Williams – Would Ya?
  24. Cow Cow Davenport – State Street Jive (#A test)
  25. Richard Trice – Poor Boy Long Way From Home (field recording)
  26. Earnest Scott – Ain’t Got No Mama Now (field recording)

However, shipping to the U.S. is $31 for a $41 set.