• 3 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another one:

DGF 63 Richard M. Jones - Good Stuff

dgf63.gif

~ From track listing, no songs that've not already been reissued on Classics and Document discs.

Read on SteveHoffman forum, the Django's are going to 5 volumes.

Edited by LAL

• 2 months later...

Frog has just reissued King Oliver's Victor recordings. Remastering by Ted Kendall (as told in the RedHotJazz mail list).

DGF 64 - King Oliver - Call of the Freaks, The complete Victor recordings, vol.1

dgf64.gif

DGF 65 - King Oliver - New Orleans shout, The complete Victor recordings, vol.2

dgf65.gif

These two CDs duplicate the JSPs (remastered by JRT Davies), except for a new alternate of "Stealing Love".

These two CDs duplicate the JSPs (remastered by JRT Davies), except for a new alternate of "Stealing Love".

Guess I'll stick to the JSP. I'm happy with their sound!

I haven't heard the King Oliver Frogs, but I tend to agree as far as Ted Kendall's recent masterings are concerned; they often sound as if they've been de-noised to death, no life left.

Edited by J.A.W.

Got these Victor recordings on King Jazz CDs and sound's just OK. Since the JSPs seem to be OOP, I may consider acquiring the Frogs.

Got these Victor recordings on King Jazz CDs and sound's just OK. Since the JSPs seem to be OOP, I may consider acquiring the Frogs.

A few copies of the JSP are available here.

-_-

I might just get the Frog disc with the extra track, maybe. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

dgf77.gif

Thumbs up for this 2CD set of Johnny Dodds on Paramount from Frog. mastered by Doug Benson ( new name to me). The Oliver Paramounts sound better to me than those on the Off The Record set. The sound is perhaps slightly over damped for my liking , I could do with a bit more hiss but it's nothing to complain of in my view. Some very nice sides only a few of which i knew from a handful of 78 dubs. Unless you have a closet of mint Paramounts this is probably as good as you are likely to get. Very rapid service from Paul Swinton at Frog. I also picked up the Jimmy O Bryant set but have yet to spin it.

• 1 month later...

West Coast Jazz!

51u7bm4a4-L._SS500_.jpg

I actually don't have this title. Does anyone here? Amazon used to have sound samples (I listened to them at one point), but now they appear to be gone ... :huh:

I've got it, and am listening now. I would say that this is good, solid, second-tier jazz of the time - worth hearing by anyone interested in 1920's/early 30's jazz, but not essential. The best musician is probably William B. Woodman, Sr., Britt's dad.

I will say that there are some extremely rare recordings here - six sides from the West coast Sunset label, and a few unreleased test pressings.

• 4 months later...

those are extremely important recordings. Gotta get me some. Who's doing their mastering these days?

Just heard from Frog owner Paul Swinton that the upcoming Ellington and Rare and Hot Black Bands CDs were mastered by Nick Dellow; the transfers were done by Joel O’Sickey, Charlie Crump, John Wilby, Nick Dellow and Harry Coster.

Edited by J.A.W.

On a side note, any word from Paul Swinton on when the third FROG Blues & Jazz Annual is going to be out?

Last I heard was this month or next (but that was a while back).. I only just got the other two so that I didn't fall three behind

• 3 months later...

Stop & Listen! - Rare & Hot Black Bands 1923-1930

The Missourians

King Oliver Blues Singers & Orchestra

Received the Frogs above last week along with Bennie Moten Vol 2. All very fine releases upto the usual standards. There's some very fine playing especially on Stop &Listen which I like immensely. Some pretty obscure sides on all of these . The Missourians occupy roughly half of their disc with other tracks featuring Missourian alumni in small earlier groups. The otherwise excellent liner notes don't refer to these sides. Pity. All recommended needless to say.