• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His performance in the WS was none too good, to put it kindly.  However, he's a much better Left Fielder than a Center Fielder.  If I recall correctly his poor plays came while he was in Center Field.  He also has a terrific arm.

One of the problems with the Gold Glove in the past (don't know if it's still necessarily the case) that the same people would win year after year.  I haven't seen the Rays play this year but I'm not sure how Trout hasn't won a gold glove yet.

I kinda thought Trout was a lock for one this year, but Kiermaier is a beast. He had a season this year that resembled Lorenzo Cain's postseason last year. 

As for Cespedes, his throwing arm seems to be what got him the award. Eh, whatever. He's still a bit of a loose canon out there, but he is absolutely gifted beyond belief. 

But Brett Gardner really should have won it, IMO. Many felt he should have won it over Gordon in years past. It's a argument that is noteworthy. 

And BTW, Tim, I apologize. I didn't mean to downplay what an outstanding player Crawford is, and certainly hope you didn't take it that way. He's the NL version of Escobar, IMO. Both are highlight reels waiting to happen every time the ball is put in play. He made some downright bats hit plays in the Series against us last year. You've got yourself a great one there. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

Yeah, and as hard as it is to believe if you hadn't witnessed it with your own eyes, the bullpen was far better THIS season. We had three or four guys that could close. Yes, close. 

And when our lights out closer from last year went down, our setup man slipped easily into the role and the pen never lost a step. It was wall to wall this season. We had no afterthought guys in the pen. It was incredible. 

Some of the Angels fans on Halo Heaven were pretty pissed off yesterday about the prospects the Angels let go to get Simmons, but hell, prospects don't always pan out. and really, you got a young guy to replace an older guy for the next ? years, and besides, it's about an even swap offensively, and a definite upgrade defensively, so hey.

Angels still need more than they got, but there's a lot of time between now and Opening Day.

52 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Some of the Angels fans on Halo Heaven were pretty pissed off yesterday about the prospects the Angels let go to get Simmons, but hell, prospects don't always pan out. and really, you got a young guy to replace an older guy for the next ? years, and besides, it's about an even swap offensively, and a definite upgrade defensively, so hey.

Angels still need more than they got, but there's a lot of time between now and Opening Day.

My son, who is an Angels fan, was very happy about the trade until I told him that they traded Sean Newcombe (their number one prospect) and number two prospect (also a pitcher).  Then he wasn't so sure.  The Angels have a lot of needs and if I were the GM, I might have used those prospects for a LF and some more established pitching but perhaps they think they can satisfy that in the free agent market.

9 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Colby Rasmus makes history by being the first player to sign a qualifying offer. 

Is the MLB cap for qualifying offers (15.8 mil?) too low or something? Seems like somebody would have accepted it by now.

Wieters of Baltimore just did the same thing.

Good luck to Simmons in LA! Glad he's out of the NL east. He's been a real menace. The best defensive shortstop maybe since Vizquel.

Edited by Neal Pomea

12 hours ago, Neal Pomea said:

Is the MLB cap for qualifying offers (15.8 mil?) too low or something? Seems like somebody would have accepted it by now.

Wieters of Baltimore just did the same thing.

Good luck to Simmons in LA! Glad he's out of the NL east. He's been a real menace. The best defensive shortstop maybe since Vizquel.

Almost all players who are given qualifying offers are those in line for monster paydays attached to lengthy contracts. Teams usually only offer it to players they know will refuse it because they get a compensatory draft pick from whatever team signs said player. 

I'm shocked that four players accepted it this year! But their agents obviously did their homework and tolf them they weren't going to get more on the open market. 

Oh, and the salary figure is based on the average salary of the top 125 players from the previous season, so no, not too low at all. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

It's a calculated risk, but in cases like Rasmus and Wieters I think it's a reasonable tactic in hopes of keeping players with marginal monetary value, but important team value, around so that they can extend them to team friendly contracts. 

In Wieters case, he might be one of the best catchers in MLB, but he's barely played the last two years. So, perhaps before giving him a long-term contract, they want to see another year of him to make damn sure he's going to be worth the investment? 

I don't know...

Not really sure I can buy into the credibility of the award when Ned Yost wasn't even in the running. 

Before the season started the "experts" were saying the Royals would finish with 72-75 wins, third in their division, and not make the playoffs. 

Instead, they finished with the best record in the A.L., won their division by the largest margin in MLB, and took the World Series in five games. 

And he's not even a finalist?!