• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's one of those things that is more or less a "feel good" thing in the immediate (an nothing at all worng with that), but has no lasting relevancy except in the cumulative.

Of course, you don't get the cumulative without getting the immediates along the way, so...carpe diem!

On 11/18/2015, 2:54:48, Brad said:

I don't understand the relevancy comment.  No one really remembers the awards in any category until they'r trotted out a few times a year but it sure makes the recipient feel good and is a recognition of success at that time.

What Brad said.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎16‎:‎22‎, JSngry said:

16604715951_9db6a7fc32_o.jpg

Thanks for this, Jim!  Griffith Stadium was the site of the first game my dad took me to.  May, 1959, the Senators against the Kansas City Athletics; Camilo Pascual and Harmon Killebrew against Ralph Terry and Roger Maris,.  And those Briggs hot dogs were the best!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Red Sox breaking open John Henry's piggy bank isn't surprising but Price has a lot of mileage on that arm.  If his elbow blows up they'll be paying a lot of money for declining performance and most likely they get declining performance anyway.  Best scenario might be a championship in the first three years and Price opts out, let the Yankees enjoy the declining return on investment.

The only difference between Price and Sabathia is that no one looks at Price and predicts the inevitable physical breakdown that you could with big C.C.

I was completely unaware that Dombrowski traded four highly regarded prospects for an elite closer that they control for three years - Kimbrell. Guess I haven't been paying enough attention, or you skip the website tour and miss the news when it breaks.  Overall I am OK with the trade as all four are early in their minor league careers and may be good, may not be.  The best youngsters still remain in the system, and sliding Koji into the 8th inning definitely makes for a stronger pen for at least on year. After that Kimbrell gives us an elite closer for a couple more, if lesser supporting players to get to him (I'm assuming Koji retires along with Ortiz after this year).

Back to Price - I haven't spoken to him but I am sure my brother, the Yankees/Cubs fan, is aggravated that the Cubs have missed out on Grienke and Price - especially Price as he felt the Cubs should have done what was necessary to get him when the Tigers traded him to the Blue Jays instead.  They did get Lackey for two years which I think is a good move.  I hate the guy personally but he definitely helps the rotation and it's only two years. I'd like to see them throw the money at Cueto to really solidify the rotation.

43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Greinke to Arizona...either they promised him to build a better team or else he is all about the money to a level I never figured him for.

Or I dunno, maybe he just don't dig DST.

Greinke is a very odd duck. I knew he was all about the money when he left here. And he didn't really leave any friends behind. Not that he made many to begin with. A lot of people were shocked last year when he said he was rooting for the Giants in the World Series. 

Nope, that's just the kind of dick he is. 

It's always about the money, otherwise why have an opt out.  I don't begrudge any athlete making as much as he can as careers are short. 

The late George Young, general manager of the football Giants, used to say that when they tell you it's not about the money, it's about the money. 

Well, Giants get some pitching help....I hope: Jeff Samardzija.

His numbers aren't real impressive, but I understand he is a 200 innings a year type guy.

Now maybe the Giants go after Zobrist to fill the LF gap left by Aoki [a guy I really wish they kept].

Edited by Tim McG