Sublime Pres from 1937

Larry Kart

It's kind of different than anything that came before -- the first "slow" Pres as the person who posted it elsewhere said. It's "Moten Swing," taken more "down" than usual by a fair amount.  Dan Morgenstern said, when it was posted elsewhere, that just before the announcer comes in Pres sounds like Bud Freeman.

Yes, a perfect solo, as perfect as "Easy Does It" even. What is the date in 1937, January or so? If I remember rightly, that's when the Basie-Chatterbox album was done. Quite a difference in YOung's style between that and in the Smith-Jones quintet (Nov. 9) - again, between the Smith-Jones and the Jan. 25 Billie Holiday sessions. It's also fun to listen to Frank Trumbauer solos and try to imagine what Young sounded like in the years  before he first recorded.

Does anyone know about a small group date Pres made in the period of '37-'41 with a trumpet player? It may've been Buck Clayton. I asked Phil Schaap about it, but he insisted there was no such date. But I heard it on the radio (WKCR), I didn't dream it---and it was fantastic playing by Pres. Just didn't catch the name of the recording.

Any ideas? I'd be much-obliged as this is must-have music.