Herbie Hancock 1969 acoustic sextet

GA Russell

It seems it wasn´t recorded that much.

A really good performance of a set of the acoustic sextet from the mentioned period was done in 1976 on the first VSOP album. It´s the first set the classic VSOP quintet representing the mid 60´s period, than the set from the "middle period" and the last set the electric group.

There is a double LP / CD announced for December from a concert at the Boston Jazz Workshop, no idea if this is legitimate:

5297961901728.jpg

The CD lists only two tracks, Hornets & You'll Know When You Get There, Label calls itself HiHat. No idea if the LPs have more.

Amazon UK lists this since July, 2015. Should be a British label. 

• 1 year later...

Well lookie, lookie what I just stumbled across on YouTube, 25 minutes of LIVE Herbie from Antibes, July 24, 1969.  We all know the two sets of Miles from these concerts have been issued, and I know there's a full set of Bobby Hutcherson from one these same concerts too (that I've had on a nice silver-disc greymarket boot for years). But until just tonight, I had no idea Herbie had even played at this event.

Cut-n-pasted the info below (all in red) from the YouTube description.

I concur that it's Johnny Coles and Garnette Brown, which both seem very clearly them, to my ears.  Definitely NOT Joe Henderson (if it were, I'd be in absolute heaven with this! -- but it's a hell of a find, as is, either way).  And so I agree that it could very easily be Bennie Maupin.  Also, "Tootie" seems as logical a guess as any on drums.  Can anyone ID the two tunes??

Published on Mar 7, 2017

Recorded at the Jazz Festival Antibes, Juan-les-Pins, July 24, 1969
I don't have much information about this record, maybe someone can help me out.

Excerpt of the concert:
1 unknown Track
2 unknown Track (starts at 12:20)

Herbie Hancock (p)
Johnny Coles (flugelhorn)
Garnett Brown? (tb)
Joe Henderson? Bennie Maupin? (ts)
Buster Williams (b)
Albert "Tootie" Heath? (dr)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Just listening. If it was 1971, and I trust Brownie on this, it must be Eddie Henderson, Julian Priester, Bennie Maupin, Buster Williams, and Billy Hart. The players sound to me like this personnel, too. This is not Johnny Coles' trumpet sound. Definitely Maupin and Hart.

The personnel listed on YouTube is obviously based on the false assumption that this was a 1969 performance, and not on aural evidence.

The two tunes were not recorded on Herbie's albums.

Sounds more like Garnett Brown to me, than it does Priester (I love Brown's tone on Booker Ervin's Heavy!!! for instance). And the trumpeter doesn't sound much like Eddie Henderson to me, and does sound a bit like someone who at least plays a bit more like Coles to me.

FWIW.

Some info/speculation that it may NOT even be Herbie at all (or anyone from his group), from THIS THREAD over at the Steve Hoffman board (where there's a long Herbie thread going on, and I posted it over there too).

(And whoever the trombone player is, he's got that insanely aggressive tone that Garnett Brown has at times.)

I remember a discussion from a Miles discussion list I used to read where members found that this was not Herbie, but Graham Collier's group. One of the pieces had been recorded on a Collier album from that time. I am a bit fuzzy on the details now so if anyone has more info, please weigh in.

EDIT: found the details from that discussion about this mystery recording.

Link above (which goes to the plosin "Miles Ahead" site) has this info...

Graham Collier Group
Pinède, Antibes

March 21, 1969 (2 items; TT = 24:54)
Pinède, Antibes
Source/Quality: RB (B+)

Harry Beckett (tpt); Nick Evans (tb); Stan Sulzmann (ss, ts); Stanley Cowell (p); Graham Collier (b); John Marshall (d)

1 Unknown Title 12:16
2 Aberdeen Angus (G. Collier) 12:38

According to Stan Sulzmann, Karl Jenkins, Collier's regular keyboard player, had to miss this gig because of the death of his father, and Stanley Cowell was enlisted to play in his place. Thanks to Terry Sullivan for help with this session.
Edited by Rooster_Ties

I had my doubts about Priester. The trumpet player uses some Hubbard derived phrases just like Eddie Henderson, and Cowell has enough similarities to Hancock. Someone registered at YouTube should correct the personnel! This here indeed sound much more plausible.

Edited by mikeweil

Definitely sounds like Harry Beckett to me, as someone who heard him live countless times and sort-of played with him (only ever in a large group, don't think he knew my name!) - and that isn't Buster Williams

Listening some more - sounds very like Stan Sulzmann too - I think the Collier explanation is accurate

Edited by Olie Brice
listened further

As if by magic I actually have within my files a typed/printed publicity flyer sent out by Graham covering his gigs in the London area, June-July 1969.

On July 21st they were at the 100 Club, 100 Oxford Street. Then Graham adds the note 'after which, the band goes to Antibes to participate in the International Jazz Festival - and to have a holiday !'

and so it came to pass !

In addition the band did a broadcast in June 1969 for the BBC on 'Jazz Workshop' which featured...... Aberdeen Angus !

Glad this has been cleared up. I was sent this recording 4 years ago as a blindfold test but the agenda was for me to confirm that this was Herbie's group. I told the person there was no way this was Herbie. When this was posted on youtube, a Facebook page run by someone who has had some experience working with Herbie posted it on his wall exclaiming check out this great, newly discovered live Herbie and I disputed it and was met with some skepticism (people really have faith in what they read on the internet) but finally people came around. Glad that we know who this is for sure now....

5 hours ago, david weiss said:

(people really have faith in what they read on the internet) 

That'll be one of the greatest problems for many years to come!

I have to apologize for not listening closely and on poorly sounding speakers, and without much listening to these British players, some of whom I always appreciated, but haven't heard often. Sometimes I forget my own rule to always think thrice before posting anything anywhere.

Edited by mikeweil