High-end hi-fi is like anti-wrinkle cream

A Lark Ascending

6 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

And Lark, 11 iPods!!! You spent as much as those as most people do their entire listening system! :lol:

Don't I know it! I put one through the washing machine by accident a year or so back. It did not survive. 

I imagine the really high end systems are bought by the sort of people who are busy buying up London at present - conspicuous display alongside fine wines, sport's cars and the like. Would be interesting to relate the number of recordings owned against system (or, more interesting, the number played!). I have a hunch this will reduce the more expensive the system gets. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

About 4 months I sold my dying Sugden integrated amp and replaced it with a Moon 600i. It's the most expensive anything I've bought but the improvement to sound was very significant. I'm very happy with sound I get from all formats even minidisc I thinsk largely because the bits and pieces in my system have been built up slowly over the past 20yrs. I have a very good relationship with my local HiFi dealer. ( Loud and Clear) They don't sell snake oil and I don't buy it.

• 1 month later...
On November 30, 2015 at 2:08 AM, Jazzjet said:

I guess the thinking was - 'we've designed these incredibly ugly, huge pieces of equipment so why not improve things by finishing them off in the kind of colour usually found in a baby's nappy'!

It strikes me as funny yet true that I don"t consider those huge Wilson speakers ugly. Would love to have a pair, though they are not even close to fitting my budget. While it is likely true that few if any wives would find them attractive, but for a "very modest" audiophile they look beautiful.

On January 14, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Scott Dolan said:

They're still ugly as sin, though. They look like the result of a Cylon knocking up a jukebox. 

wilson_room_3.jpg

"Oh, right. Well, in order to get to our patio for the barbecue, you have to turn around and go back down the hallway, out the front door, down the steps, across the driveway, climb up the embankment, and then straddle the fence."

Conversely:

"Yeah. I don't know why we put those glass doors there either."

• 4 years later...

Oh hell yeah, it's gets higher end-ier. The PS Audio equipment is not the ne plus ultra. Even the P10s are no longer PS Audio's top of the line, and their front end and amplification are arguably not the top of the heap. But man, that's a lot of speakers for that room! 

On 20/01/2016 at 9:40 PM, Late said:

wilson_room_3.jpg

"Oh, right. Well, in order to get to our patio for the barbecue, you have to turn around and go back down the hallway, out the front door, down the steps, across the driveway, climb up the embankment, and then straddle the fence."

Conversely:

"Yeah. I don't know why we put those glass doors there either."

Reminds me of that Dire Straits ‘MTV’ video.

Dreadful !

On 06/12/2015 at 7:00 PM, Clunky said:

About 4 months I sold my dying Sugden integrated amp and replaced it with a Moon 600i. It's the most expensive anything I've bought but the improvement to sound was very significant. I'm very happy with sound I get from all formats even minidisc I thinsk largely because the bits and pieces in my system have been built up slowly over the past 20yrs. I have a very good relationship with my local HiFi dealer. ( Loud and Clear) They don't sell snake oil and I don't buy it.

‘Loud and Clear’ are excellent. Good second hand stock and nice guys at the Edinburgh store. :tup

Edited by sidewinder