Don Menza Live at Carmellos

Dan Gould

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/live_at_carmelos_2-cd_set_+_unreleased_tracks-cd-6363.html

These live performances at Carmelo’s were a great experience for me. It was a chance to play with some of my favorite players and, as time has proven, they have become jazz legends. Because of the time limitations of LP’s, we had to choose from 2 nites of recording and only six tunes were picked for the original LP release. Here are some of the other tunes played on that historic live recording. Sam Noto was inown with the Bob McConnell Big Band. Sal Nistico flew in from N.Y.C. and the rest of us were here in L.A.

Thanks to the efforts of the late Herb Wong (my good friend) we had the opportunity to record the music of Frank Strazzeri and some of my charts. These charts were originally written for trumpet-tenor-trombone, but after the untimely death of Frank Rosolino everything was put on hold. On these recordings I played the trombone parts on baritone and some on alto.

It was curious that all the players on these recordings are from the East coast, and yet everyone considered us “West coasters” (always thought of as the cool school). As you will hear, these takes are anything but cool. My thanks to Jordi and Fresh Sound for re-releasing these recordings.

—Don Menza, Los Angeles, October 2015

Anyone familiar with the original Palo Alto release?  If it was a good one, more from the same gig should be a nice add-on. And, not a lot of Sal Nistico out there.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/live_at_carmelos_2-cd_set_+_unreleased_tracks-cd-6363.html

These live performances at Carmelo’s were a great experience for me. It was a chance to play with some of my favorite players and, as time has proven, they have become jazz legends. Because of the time limitations of LP’s, we had to choose from 2 nites of recording and only six tunes were picked for the original LP release. Here are some of the other tunes played on that historic live recording. Sam Noto was inown with the Bob McConnell Big Band. Sal Nistico flew in from N.Y.C. and the rest of us were here in L.A.

Thanks to the efforts of the late Herb Wong (my good friend) we had the opportunity to record the music of Frank Strazzeri and some of my charts. These charts were originally written for trumpet-tenor-trombone, but after the untimely death of Frank Rosolino everything was put on hold. On these recordings I played the trombone parts on baritone and some on alto.

It was curious that all the players on these recordings are from the East coast, and yet everyone considered us “West coasters” (always thought of as the cool school). As you will hear, these takes are anything but cool. My thanks to Jordi and Fresh Sound for re-releasing these recordings.

—Don Menza, Los Angeles, October 2015

Anyone familiar with the original Palo Alto release?  If it was a good one, more from the same gig should be a nice add-on. And, not a lot of Sal Nistico out there.

This is IMO an excellent recording  with all participants in top form and it was a longtime gossip this additional recordings from October 2 and 3, 1981 would exist. So another opportunity to listen to underrecorded artist like Frank Strazzieri or Sal Nistico .... unreserved seal of approval ....

I remember it was many years ago I took my youngest son , a teenager at that time to hear Don Menza.

Especially I remember how he run through the chords of a Rhythm Changes tune exactly the way Monk did sometimes: G flat - B natural - E – A – D – G – C – F – B flat..... if you know what I´m talkin´ about. Really strong.

During intermission we met him at the bar. My boy looking deadly serious, maybe he was kind of awed by the meeting, and Don Menza „hey you lookin so serious ! Smile a bit, can´t you smile ?“ I told him my boy is a bit timid at the moment but likes very much what you play, and I told him how I liked the way he treated the rhythm tune and Mr. Menza seemed to like what I told him.

Later he talked to a swiss couple and I was astonished to hear that he spoke fluently german...., I knew he had lived in Germany for some time, but I didn´t know he speaks so fluently german...

• 4 months later...

Just found out about this via Sam Noto's son, Chris.  Is this actually more material from what is known as the "Hip Pocket" date?  Everyone is playing beautifully on this date.  Just heard something from the 2-CD set featuring Sam Noto  - a ballad and it is was great; inspired playing by all!  Ordering the 2-CD set right now.

• 1 year later...

Listening again to this one, especially to the material on the 2-CD set that wasn't on the Palo Alto LP. Sal is in pretty staggering form on the 20 minutes-plus "Tenor Madness," and at some length. Strazzeri's comping is distinctive and excellent. And this may be the best Noto I've ever heard (that ballad especially). Simpkins is over-miced and/or over-amplified, yet what he's playing is very stimulating; Shelly likewise (i.e. he's very stimulating, though not over-miced).