Blue Note Premium Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD Vol.1

RiRiIII

Here we go again:

Blue Note Records Premium Mini LP Reissue Series Vol.1] Cardboard sleeve reissue with Platinum SHM-CD format and 24-bit remastering. Comes with liner notes. This series features the products with the following product numbers: UCCU-40020 through UCCU-40029.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?term.prodkey=UCCU-40020,UCCU-40021,UCCU-40022,UCCU-40023,UCCU-40024,UCCU-40025,UCCU-40026,UCCU-40027,UCCU-40028,UCCU-40029

1. Somethin' Else [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release]
  2. Blue Train [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release] John Coltrane
  3. Soul Station [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Hank Mobley
  4. Sonny Clark Trio [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release]
  5. Candy [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Lee Morgan
  6. Us Three [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Horace Parlan
  7. A Night At The Village Vanguard [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Sonny Rollins
  8. Midnight Blue [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Kenny Burrell
  9. Round About Midnight At The Cafe Bohemia [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Kenny Dorham
  10. Jutta Hipp With Zoot Sims [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Platinum SHM-CD] [Limited Release]

Release date: 10 February 2016

Price: 3,700 yen/ $30 / €28

Alex.-  

Edited by RiRiIII

3700¥. Ouch.

Do remember, for those planning on trying out a purchase or two from this series, that after Platinum SHM-CD, there is still the little-mentioned Molybdenum SHM-CD, followed by the very rarely produced Iridium hybrid SACD SHM-CD. (Japan has also produced exactly one Ruthenium hybrid SACD SHM-Blu-ray Audio disc. Too expensive to mass produce.)

I'm still waiting for the Prestige 7100 Series SHM-CDs. Now that would be a reissue program.

11 hours ago, erwbol said:

One of the things about the Connoisseur of Schizophrenia that used to bother me was the comparatively light bass sound and the Grundman HD Tracks of Schizophrenia is not a great departure in that respect.

Interesting. I haven't heard the Grundman transfer, but would have to guess that it presents the recording's sound as balanced as it ever will be. I have the Japanese RVG edition of Schizophrenia, and the bass is incredibly boosted. It sits on top of the ensemble, sound stage-wise, which is an odd effect. The music, of course, is fantastic; Wayne's solos are once again a thing of beauty.

The Larry Walsh remaster ... ugh.

On 11/12/2015, 21:28:15, erwbol said:

Bullshit, but expected bullshit.

This is exactly why there won't be €10 budget releases of these new transfers in the EU anytime soon as some folks keep hoping against hope.

There is a small indicator that the Yoshida / Grundman remastered Blue Notes may see the light of day. That is if the following is correct.  Universal Music Italy has Somethin' Else slated for release in 2016 (26 Feb); noted to be a "2012 remastered".  Details:  UPC 00602537857463 /  http://www.universalmusic.it/pop/artista/discografia/?ccidp=31056253817 .  The RVG version of this title is also noted separately.  Lee Morgan's Cornbread is also due to be released on this date (no mastering info noted, I'm affraid), I suspect more BN titles will be added for release on this date.

Reasoning? Amazon UK and ImportCDs.com have 19 BN titles listed.  ImportCDs state that the titles are Italian imports.  Both third party sites had these slated to be released in December (this date was originally noted to be the release date for the above 2 titles on the UM Italy site), but on the supposed release date their status was altered to back order or not available.  The titles on these sites reflect those of the first 4 batches of the recent BN vinyl reissues and most are still available in earlier released form. 

Although, to complicate matters somewhat, the non-remastered box sets released this year (e.g. Wayne Shorter) - that me and Erwbol conversed about on the BN SHM thread, were also Italian releases according to ImportCDs.

The more I looked into this, the muddier things appeared.  The only indication I have found that the CDs slated for release may be the newer remasterings, is the Cannonball Adderley titles listing details.  

To be honest I have now lost interest, but seeing the further BN Platinum CDs due for release noted on the CD Japan site and mentioned here prompted me to post this info.  By the way, I have no interest in the Platinum releases, life is too short.  Crushing the skin of many grapes will not release wine, just make your fingers sore.      

Edited by RPF1990

• 1 month later...

Second batch announced

Mar 23 release .....

* SONNY CLARK - Cool Struttin' [UCCU-40030] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* HERBIE HANCOCK - Maiden Voyage [UCCU-40031] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* ART BLAKEY AND THE JAZZ MESSENGERS - Moanin' [UCCU-40032] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* BUD POWELL - The Scene Changes [UCCU-40033] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* LEE MORGAN - Lee Morgan Vol.3 [UCCU-40034] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* JOE HENDERSON - Page One [UCCU-40035] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* KENNY DORHAM - Afro Cuban [UCCU-40036] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* FREDDIE HUBBARD - Open Sesame [UCCU-40037] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* LOU DONALDSON - Blues Walk [UCCU-40038] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
* LEE MORGAN - Indeed! [UCCU-40039] Mini LP Platinum SHM-CD
 - Our offer price (each): US$34.45

anyone heard or seen these yet, reluctant to fork out for this unless markedly better than the last mini LP series?

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested in these CDs, apparently they are different masterings to the earlier BN SHM-CDs - they are in mono - according to the HMV Japan site.  This is noted in the Hoffman forum thread: Platinum SHM-CDs Launched! (Disc 3). On the current last page, someone has kindly posted a 1 minute sound sample from Somethin' Else. I hope its socially exceptable for me to draw another forum to peoples attention, in this way, I'm not really sure of forum etiquette. 

Edit: here is a link Chuck (sorry, this is a bad English joke - chuck meaning buddy):  

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/platinum-shm-cds-launched-disc-3.342656/page-45

Post 1124

Edited by RPF1990
Additional info

• 2 weeks later...