Jackie McLean meets Tony Williams

Michael Weiss

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

For the entire decade of the 1960's, McLean made one masterpiece after another. No duds. NONE. They're ALL fantastic. 

You are in for a TREAT. :) 

:tup:tup:tup 

Yeah, as much as I really don't care for it, I think Spotify is going to get a monster work out from me. Too close to Christmas for for Mrs. Claus to approve any new music purchases. 

That said, Spotify has a ton of McLean titles. 

Tony had just turned 17 when he first met and played with Jackie at Connolly's in Boston in December 1962 -- that when and where this picture was taken. So he was 17. Jackie tell the story in the liner notes of "One Step Beyond." It's so beautiful to see a picture from that gig. It really brings everything down to human scale.

FWIW,  I used "Blue Rondo" as my break tune for a number of years with my own band, and the basic frontline of my group was always based on the alto/trombone sound of Jackie and Grachan Moncur. (For you Chicago folks, my partner was the great bass trumpet player Ryan Shultz, whose instrument, of course, is pitched like a trombone. This was back in the mid '80s in Urbana.) Lot of material in our book either written by Jackie, arranged by him or associated with him -- "Capuchin Swing," "Blue Fable," "Snuff" ("Iddy Bitty" with modal changes) "Marilyn's Dilemma," "Blues in a Jiff," "The Three Minors," "The Way I Feel," "I Love You," "I Hear a Rhapsody," "Formidable."  

Edited by Mark Stryker

Yeah it´s really a moving story that Jackie McLean tells in his liner notes about how he met Tony and brought him to N.Y.

Tony really had a great start in early 1963 there with the legendary McLean-Graham Moncur III -Bobby Hutcherson - line up, besides recording they performed at the Living Theatre I think. And the "Una Mas" with K.D......, until he got the call from Miles.....

Tony Williams is one of my all time favourites.

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

Losing Tony Williams at 51 sucks. Thanks goodness he started so young.

I found it hard to believe he was gone when he passed. He was such a force within my musical world, he and Kenny Clarke inspired me to take up the drums. Far too young. I lost my wife at 52, far too young. Life is fleeting and we should enjoy every minute.

8 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I found it hard to believe he was gone when he passed. He was such a force within my musical world, he and Kenny Clarke inspired me to take up the drums. Far too young. I lost my wife at 52, far too young. Life is fleeting and we should enjoy every minute.

Word.