New DONATE button

Jim Alfredson

I had an implant done about five years ago. It went well and continues to be so. IIRC the procedure as a whole took a fair bit of time: First, the placement in the jaw of the metal post to which the crown will be fastened, then some months later, fastening the new "tooth" (i.e. crown) to the post.  I think they had to wait several months before the final step to make sure that the jaw/post part of the implant process was going as it should. (The implant was necessary  -- a la Ann Nessa's experience --because an old root canal job underneath it all was giving way and something very bad was happening or about to happen. That whole old tooth was a goner, had to be  extracted, and any underlying infection cleaned up.) Pricey to be sure, but at least no particular discomfort I can recall. Also, my very good dentist of some 30 years is tight with most of the good oral surgeons, endodontists, etc.,  in the area, which gives me confidence. If she says so-and-so is good, he/she is good. Also, my dentist is  a nice measuring stick for the aging process. An attractive young woman 30 years ago, and with an at once warm and business-like manner, she retains that manner and a core of good looks as she reaches her mid-60s. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

My wife Ann recently had an old root canal break, had the roots removed, a bone graft and a pin installed for $4000. In 90 days she gets a crown for another couple grand. Sigh.

Yep. That's pretty much what I'm looking at. It sounds vain, but as a performer I don't think I can have a gap in my smile.

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Root canal and extraction £62.

Glad I'm not a performer and happy with roguishly inscrutable smile :rolleyes:

I’m guessing it was that inexpensive because of the government medical system. The USA is a different story. 

A few years ago my wife, who does not have good teeth, had implants and who knows what else. Our dental insurance covered a small portion but the rest was very expensive. Ate up a good share of my bonus that year. 

Implants done under private treatment usually cost about £2000 to £3000 each over here - it takes 6 or 7 appointments to complete the treatment. Under NHS treatment you pay a contribution towards treatment - I had a filling and X rays last year and it came out to around £50. At the age of 60 and up, the treatment becomes free (also the case for children and long term unemployed).

Edited by sidewinder

47 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Small donation made. Curiously it's listed as "offline" when it was very much "online" 

There's a selection as to whether or not you want your name to be publicly associated with the donation. Did you make a selection there? Don't recall if that's opt-out or opt-in, but that might be why it's showing as offline.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...