New list of beers in decline

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Here is an update from two weeks ago, listing the ten brands with the largest percentage decline.  Budweiser is #5.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/beers-americans-no-longer-drink/ss-BBH9Xwe?OCID=ansmsnnews11#image=1

"Ten parasitic diseases with the largest percentile decline"

I stopped drinking very nearly 20 years ago, but all the brands mentioned seem like crap to me. Long live the craft brewers!

The article makes some interesting implications re. oligopoly in the beer business.

Anheuser-Busch InBev SA (a Brazilian/Belgian company) makes 6 of the 10 brands (decline rankers 1,4,5,6,7,8).

Molson/Coors (a Canadian/American company) makes the other 4 (rankers 2,3,9,10).

But the article points out that  "...Still, Anheuser-Busch has remained a strong performer on Wall Street. Over the same five years, even as domestic Budweiser sales fell by 3.8 million barrels, the company’s share price climbed from $55 to over $100 per share -- out performing both the Dow and S&P 500 indices."

I looked on the Morningstar site, and Molson/Coors has underperformed the S&P 500 over the past 5 years, but not by much.

Morningstar actually indicates that AB has very slightly underperformed the S&P 500 over the past 5 years, but has outperformed Molson/Coors. Interestingly, both have soundly outperformed the "Beverages- Brewers" index. This seems strange to me, as I'd expect the 2 companies combined to make up a large percentage of said index. I suspect that AB, being a foreign company, is not included in the index. But I'm too lazy to research further right now.

Edited by T.D.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

I stopped drinking very nearly 20 years ago, but all the brands mentioned seem like crap to me. Long live the craft brewers!

The article makes some interesting implications re. oligopoly in the beer business.

Anheuser-Busch InBev SA (a Brazilian/Belgian company) makes 6 of the 10 brands (decline rankers 1,4,5,6,7,8).

Molson/Coors (a Canadian/American company) makes the other 4 (rankers 2,3,9,10).

But the article points out that  "...Still, Anheuser-Busch has remained a strong performer on Wall Street. Over the same five years, even as domestic Budweiser sales fell by 3.8 million barrels, the company’s share price climbed from $55 to over $100 per share -- out performing both the Dow and S&P 500 indices."

I looked on the Morningstar site, and Molson/Coors has underperformed the S&P 500 over the past 5 years, but not by much.

I suspect a lot of these companies' strength comes from overseas sales - growing prosperity in emerging markets means more money spent on beer.

Anyone remember when John Oliver said Bud Light Lime, "tasted like a lime jolly rancher fished from the mouth of Mickey Rourke"? Despite this observation, he promised to chug a bottle of said swill if FIFA President Sepp Blatter stepped down (his challenge also involved MacDonald's dollar menu and Adidas JS Wings). Enjoy the hilarious results:

https://youtu.be/_Csi_BEgL_U?t=12s

Edited by sonnymax

I was at a hot summer party and someone had a cooler filled with Bud Light Lime, Never having tried it, I stupidly decided to pop one. Even stupider, I sucked out a large mouthful, remember, it was hot that day. Urgh. I had to spit it out. Do. not. like.

FWIW, the people at the party had a great laugh at my expense. Thankfully, no pictures exist.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan