Elliot Carter Nonesuch Retrospective...Thoughts?

greggery peccary

I am starting to dabble in modern classical music.

I read that Carter's string quartets are among the best of bunch where modern quartets are concerned.

As a fan of smaller group chamber music I am curious if this set will appeal to that interest of mine. I considered getting his complete string quartets, which are available a number of ways, but I am curious if this is a better place to start.

Thanks for your input.

I agree that "Carter's string quartets are among the best of bunch where modern quartets are concerned", but his music is a little thorny, difficult (and similar cliches), and not always immediately pleasing to newcomers to "modern classical".

I've been down that road, and would start out with the Nonesuch Retrospective set. It's more diverse, and you get good performances of 2 of the 5 SQs (I happen to like the Composers Quartet), and various other excellent pieces (Night Fantasies for piano is a personal favorite). Downsides are that the Retrospective only includes works up to 1982, and the complete SQs are available somewhat cheaper. But you can fill in gaps later on if you become an enthusiast.

Edited by T.D.

The Arditti Quartet's readings of Quartets 1-4 come highly recommended. Maybe a little pricey, but worth it.

Carter's on my "by on sight" list, and the used classical bins have returned good results at even better prices. Wasn't aware of this Nonesuch package until now, but have picked up some of the material on used LPs, so if there is this, then yes!

Besides Nonesuch, there's also plenty of good Carter on Bridge & Naxos.

I found him pretty easy to  "follow" (not in every detail right away, but just getting a handle on what to look for going forth) once i realized just how rhythmic the music was. Granted, overlapping rhythms sometimes seeming at odds against themselves, but still, very rhythmic. Once that cloud lifted, everything else started falling into place. Still nowhere near grasping all of it, but it gets easier - and more fun - each time, there really is that much "there" there!

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

I have the Nonesuch box, and think it would be a good place to start - good performances of a range of pieces covering a wide chronological period.

I have lots of Carter and agree the Nonesuch box is a great introduction and has enough strong performances it won't be discarded later.

There are a lot of good modern string quartets. I have Carter's first two by the Composers Quartet on a single CD. These are in the Nonesuch box. I find them a bit baffling and hard to follow. I really like his wind quintet, but I don't know of any recordings. There's a great performance on YouTube by the Armani Quintet. I also like his piece Steep Steps for bass clarinet. You can find it on the Bridge label. They have a fine series of Carter recordings. But for string quartets, I like modern sounds and dissonance, but I want some lyricism as well. Quartets by Carter, Ferneyhough, and other ultra modernists can be tough going. Lutoslawski's is also pretty strange.

Here's a short list of some 20th century quartets I enjoy.

Hindemith Quartets by Kocian Quartet, and Amar Quartet
Rihm Nos. 1-4 by Minguet Quartet on Col Legno
Dutilleux's quartet on Erato
Zemlinsky Nos. 3 & 4 by Artis Quartett
Wellesz No. 3, 4, 6 by Artis Quartett
Webern- String Works by Artis and Schoenberg Quartets
Norgard nos. 7-10 by Kroger Quartet
Penderecki's quartet on the Vox label. 

Bacewicz Quartets on Naxos these are superb, recorded in great sound by the Lutoslawski Quartet.

Karl Hartmann Nos. 1-2 on Nimbus label

Berg Lyric Suite by Emerson Quartet

Edited by StarThrower

• 6 months later...