Miles Davis: The Complete 'On the Corner' Sessions

Justin V

So, my library has a streaming download service that allows 5 downloads a week.  Although it does have some questionable labels, it does have majors like Columbia and RCA Victor and a ton of indie labels.  I've been using some of my downloads for box sets (I already downloaded the Plugged Nickel box) and recently completed The Complete On the Corner Sessions.  

As I don't have the booklet, I'm looking for a track-by-track breakdown of the personnel.  If anyone could list it here, PM me or email me a scan, I'd appreciate it greatly.  Thanks.

After the 1965-8 set, this is my favourite of the Miles boxes. The original 'On the Corner' disc made no impression on me at all. But I did like things I heard on 'Get Up With It'. 'He Loved Him Madly' is as good as anything he ever recorded. I also downloaded the box and it greatly exceeded my expectations.  

One of my very favorite Miles sets too, 2nd only to 2nd Quintet and Jack Johnson Complete (which are probably co-equal in first place). Miles & Gil is probably next after that.

And oddly, though the BB set great for when I've got a lot of work to get done around the house, the Complete Bitches Brew *isn't* one I'm in the mood for as often.

Anyway, the Complete OTC Sessions is really a monster, in the very best sense.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 3 years later...

I bought all the metal spine sets when they came out and haven't paid any attention to their after-market value. But I was at Amoeba yesterday and was amazed to find "On the Corner" selling for $150! Most of the others were in the $50 range.

I've seen it go for upwards of $200-$250 on eBay, and through Dusty Groove too.  Not saying it ought to be worth that much, but supply and demand seems to have prices up over $200 with some frequency (actual sales, iirc).

I got mine less than a month after it came out, with a "40% off one item" at Barnes & Noble (had to get it from an actual store, and it had to be something already in stock).  Their list price was a little high, but at 40% off, I think I got it for something like $70, iirc.  Sure as hell glad I didn't sleep on getting it at the time!! -- as is my normal practice all the time (most of the time).

10 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I've seen it go for upwards of $200-$250 on eBay, and through Dusty Groove too.  Not saying it ought to be worth that much, but supply and demand seems to have prices up over $200 with some frequency (actual sales, iirc).

I got mine less than a month after it came out, with a "40% off one item" at Barnes & Noble (had to get it from an actual store, and it had to be something already in stock).  Their list price was a little high, but at 40% off, I think I got it for something like $70, iirc.  Sure as hell glad I didn't sleep on getting it at the time!! -- as is my normal practice all the time (most of the time).

Don't remember how much I paid at the time, but I'm sure it was <$100. Anyone know what's driving up the price? Maybe it's sampled a lot?

On 8-5-2019 at 8:55 PM, erwbol said:

Gaudy, overpriced, poor liner notes (compared to the other metal spine sets), awful sound quality, and the unreleased material wasn't all that great IMO.

On the other hand, the On the Corner MFSL Hybrid SACD is marvellous.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I agree that it's the worst sounding of the box sets. Sheesh.

Agreed. I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard the box, easily the worst sounding of all the Miles Columbia box sets. The MFSL hybrid SACD, on the other hand, is indeed excellent.

Edited by J.A.W.

On 10/05/2019 at 8:33 PM, ghost of miles said:

Just curious--you mean you think Sony mastered this set differently because of an expectation that more listeners than the usual jazz crowd would be buying it?  

Listeners of other popular genres like rock, the releases of which are more often than not compromised by poor mastering. Seems reasonable.