BFT 141 Reveal

felser

Thanks to all who participated, and may you have a blessed 2016!

1 –  “The Inner Voice” from ‘The Angels of Atlanta’ by the great Hannibal Marvin Peterson.  His sister Pat wrote this cut and sings on it.

2 – Michael Session, “Quagmire Manor At Five A.M” from ‘Session ‘N’.  My main man Nate Morgan on piano.  Love love love the whole Tapscott/Nimbus West L.A. scene.

3 – “Time Will Tell” written by Bobby Watson, who plays alto on the cut.  From the obscure but spectacular Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers  album ‘Gypsy Folk Tales’.  Watson was a monster when he first hit with Blakey in the late 70’s.

4 –  “Habiba” from Harold Land/Blue Mitchell ‘Mapenzi’.  As rightly pointed out on the discussion thread, this is a Concord album that doesn’t sound like a Concord album.  Kirk Lightsey wrote this tune and plays piano.

5 – Lorez Alexandria, “I’ll Remember April”.  To me, she is in the first rank of jazz singers,  right beside Sarah and Ella and Anita O’Day and Betty Carter, but popular opinion differs.

6 – “Angel Eyes” from the oft-issued, mysteriously sourced ‘Live at Slugs’ by a killer 1968 edition of Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers, who were never properly recorded in the studio.  That’s a young but still ferocious Billy Harper on tenor.

7 – Shirley Scott, “Senor Blues” from ‘Shirley Scott Plays Horace Silver’.  I included this because I thought it was unusually aggressive playing by Scott.  Met her towards the end of her life, and she was a lovely lady.  She was playing piano rather than organ at that point.

8 – “You Had Better Listen”, title track from the late 60’s Atlantic album by Jimmy Owens/Kenny Barron.  Bennie Maupin on tenor.  It occurred to me that almost every member of the board owns or has owned two albums Maupin is on, ‘Bitches Brew’ and ‘Headhunters’, yet there is much more to him.           

9 –  “Greenwell’s Glory” from British Trumpeter Ian Hamer, on ‘Acropolis’.    Hamer had a wide and fascinating career.   Tubby Hayes on tenor.

10 –“ Circles” from the classic spiritual jazz album ‘The Sojourner’ by the Ensemble Al-Salaam.  From the early part of the Strata-East legacy, when that label could do no wrong.  It then fell off a cliff, releasing dog after dog in its last few years of existence.

11 -  “Work Song” by the Paul Butterfield Blues band, from the iconic ‘East-West’ album, when Butterfield and guitarists Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop were gloriously blazing new trails.

Regarding Track 5, I saw Bennie Maupin at the Blue Room in Kansas City, Missouri, in 2007, and there is indeed much more to him. That was an all-acoustic avant garde concert, with inspired, uncompromising soloing by Maupin on tenor saxophone and some huge bass woodwind instrument, the largest woodwind instrument I have ever seen. It was supported on a stand as it was too large to hold.

Edited by Hot Ptah