BFT 142 Discussion

Daniel A

44 minutes ago, etherbored said:

track 12 = 'space a la mode' from the herb geller recording on nova from 1975, featuring mark murphy, entitled 'an american in hamburg - the view from here'.

Wow, I have never even heard of that one before. It does not sound like the Herb Geller albums in my collection, at all.

Apart from the identifications, I wanted to comment that this is a superb Blindfold Test. It is filled with very enjoyable and distinctive tracks, which I have never heard before. As I have put together Blindfold Tests myself, I know that it is not so easy to achieve what has been done here.

On 2016-01-20 at 6:14 PM, etherbored said:

track 12 = 'space a la mode' from the herb geller recording on nova from 1975, featuring mark murphy, entitled 'an american in hamburg - the view from here'. 

On 2016-01-20 at 6:49 PM, Hot Ptah said:

Wow, I have never even heard of that one before. It does not sound like the Herb Geller albums in my collection, at all.

It was simultaneously released as a single LP on Atlantic titled "Rhyme and Reason". The original on Nova was a double album with instrumental versions of all the tracks and one additional title. It's a bit of a surprise for those who only know Geller's earlier American recordings. By this time he had been a German resident for some time and had been playing with Peter Herbolzheimer's Rhythm Combination & Brass, which I think may have been a source of inspiration for the "contemporary" sound.

Several tracks feature harmonized solos from Geller who overdubs a sax section over his original solo á la Supersax. Geller wrote the lyrics, BTW. I think Mark Murphy is terrific in this context.

Many thanks for the compliment!

Edited by Daniel A
Sp

On 2016-01-15 at 10:53 PM, tkeith said:

Track 2 - Reminscent of Woody Shaw.  I’m guessing Terumasa HIno, though, because I don’t recognize this.

Track 5 - At first, I was positive that was Harold Land.  Now I’m nearly as convinced that it isn’t.  A bit too brutish for Land in terms of tone.  

Track 12 - Very Rhodesie.  Sounds like Mark Murphy, but no so much I’ll commit.  I’m in, though.  No guesses.  Can’t remember the last time I had such a s***y run!

Track 13 - I like this a lot.  Reminiscent of a lot of the Kenny Wheeler stuff.  Sadly, I’m struggling to hear this because some knucklehead is testing the PA in the next room.  Seems modern, but very personal.  Great.   Now they’re testing the guitar; guess I’ll finish listening later.  At 3:45, that has GOT to be Kenny!  

Track 14 - Silly but fun.  Late Wes?  

#2 - You're right; it's Woody. But he's not the only soloist. Hino is not present.

#5 - Very good, it's Harold Land. This recording is not very well known and I doubt many here have heard it.

#12 - As confirmed above, it's Murphy.

#13 - No, it's not Kenny Wheeler.

#14 - See Hot Ptah's post above,

On 2016-01-20 at 6:36 PM, etherbored said:

track 6 = 'a time for love' from the michel legrand recording on mgm from 1967 entitled 'cinema legrand'.

In my view, Legrand is the greatest living arranger, but he was at his top as a film composer in the late 60s. There are so many dimensions in a short track like this one that I can listen to it a hundred times.

I've got a Dutch Fontana pressing that has a nicer cover than the MGM release:

11542_1.jpg

Not released on CD to my knowledge.

Edited by Daniel A

On 2016-01-12 at 10:43 PM, Hot Ptah said:

Track 14 is "Love Come Take Me Again" from Hank Jones' 1963 album, 'Here's Love." With Hank are Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton and Elvin Jones.

On 2016-01-12 at 11:03 PM, Daniel A said:

Quite right!

As stated above, I'm fascinated by Elvin Jones as a bossa drummer, since it's so obviously out of his usual bag and yet he sounds very much like himself. There are always slight time shifts back and forth in his playing that somehow make it sound both loose and "stiff" (for lack of a better word) at the same time. Another great example is Corcovado on Grant Green's 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' album.

Also, a few words regarding Hank Jones. I've always loved Hank's early to mid recordings (50s-60s) and he was one of the first jazz pianists I heard as young. What always strikes me on his recordings from this period (including an array of Savoy dates both as leader and sideman) is his immaculate timing. He never rushes, he's on the beat when he wants to and he makes these tiny shifts back and forth to add some feeling that to me always sounds completely right.

His solo on this track is 30 seconds long, and I can listen to it again and again just because of his beautiful timing. 

What's maybe not apparent on this very short track is that he's not always polished and uneventful. He sometimes may add a dissonant note or chord that may pass by a casual listener because of his delicate touch but that shows that there's a lot more depth to his harmonies than some people might think.

Edited by Daniel A