Upcoming Dexter bio by Maxine Gordon

From December 31, 2015 Dexter Gordon newsletter:

Fulfilling A Wish in 2016

Before Dexter's death in 1990, he asked me to complete the book he began after the Academy Award nomination and what he referred to as the "movie star" year. 2016 will see the completion of  the book,Dexter Calling: The Life and Music of Dexter Gordon, for University of California Press.

The Dexter Gordon Society was founded in 2013 to archive, preserve, and present the research that I have compiled over the past 25 years, which includes all of the research done for this book. 

By supporting The Dexter Gordon Society, you will help keep alive one of the world's most illustrious musical legacies and help continue the ongoing preservation of Dexter's legacy through archival work, publication, research, musical production and performance. Any amount that you can contribute will be used to further these efforts.

We are eternally grateful for your generosity. 

Maxine Gordon

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once spent a late afternoon/early evening in a Chicago hotel suite with a relaxed and friendly Dexter and a Maxine who was slamming stuff around in the bedroom because she was very ticked off at him for some reason  -- I think because she wanted him to be ready to go someplace else at a certain time, while he continued to talk to me about Hank Mobley, etc. in order, at least in part, to fend her off. Believe me, I wouldn't want to get crosswise with Little Red.

London Jazz Collector on his site mentions meeting and chatting with Maxine at one of Gearbox Record's regular vinyl listening sessions in London a while back and not previously knowing the Dexter connection. They recently put out a 'Soy Califa' LP by Dexter so she must have been there as part of that.

Edited by sidewinder

56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

...something involving the unilateral rearranging of furniture?

Something like that. But then I have a low threshhold for women expressing anger; Dexter perhaps had a high one. And/or their relationship was that of Ferdinand the bull smelling the flowers under a cork tree and a matador with a sharp sword and a long schedule.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Brad said:

I don't think it's very nice -- the most diplomatic way I can say it -- to throw accusations at someone and then refuse to elaborate.  If you weren't going to provide any more information, you shouldn't have said anything. 

What is not very nice ? I just asked kindly if somebody knows more about the forthcoming book.......?

"accusations"....." refuse to elaborate"........????????.

I´m a big fan of Dexter and just hope the book will be published someday......that´s all, and I hoped maybe some insider knows more about it.

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

What is not very nice ? I just asked kindly if somebody knows more about the forthcoming book.......?

"accusations"....." refuse to elaborate"........????????.

I´m a big fan of Dexter and just hope the book will be published someday......that´s all, and I hoped maybe some insider knows more about it.

I think Brad posted a response to a post by Spoont years ago.

Very late, and inartfully done since its left Georghe feeling very confused.

Recently noticed that the "official" Dexter Gordon homepage run by Moontrane Media (aka Woody III I guess) is the most corporate looking homepage I've seen in a long time - the usual stuff like a discography, sound samples, videos ... seem to be missing - instead one can buy shirts, watches, mugs, phone cases... and donate money...

https://dextergordon.com/

DEXTERGORDON.COM is the official business website representing the legacy of late tenor saxophone legend, composer, and Academy Award nominated actor Dexter Gordon™ (1923-1990). DEXTERGORDON.COM is the exclusive property of DEX MUSIC LLC.

Thank you Niko, really very interesting to read. Seems to be much more than just a bio.
I´ve seen Dexter live on many occasions, once I had to make a long trip with a really shabby old car and was glad I could catch the last 2 tunes of his set, just to have to drive back home all night long.....oh boy what memories....

It´s okay Dan.

The problem is, I think it´s not well received if somebody starts a new thread while there exists an old thread about the same topic.

So it happens that you don´t notice it was just updated, as in may case cause it came to my mind that to book still hasn´t been published.

I´d also prefer new threads so the answers might be "fresh" , but that´s it, you got to check out wether there´s some old stuff about it.....

Okay, from the point of view of a musician it´s a natural thing. When you tell your fellow guys on stage "let´s play some "All the Things You Are", you don´t have to compose it again, it´s old stuff and you just jam on it......

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...