Upcoming Dexter bio by Maxine Gordon

23 hours ago, Brad said:

I’ve read the first few chapters and “workmanlike” is probably the best word for describing her writing.  She throws in a lot of detail, some of which are unnecessary and detract from the story.  The writing sometimes seems to read as a recitation of facts but without insight; and there seems to be a lack of cohesion. The more interesting parts are what Dexter wrote. In the hands of a professional writer, this could have been a far better book. 

A somewhat direct and open question: Would "workmanlike" be an actual, honest-to-earth description or a polite euphemism for what others might call "pedestrian"? I realize optinions of which is which may vary and boundaries are not all that precise. But I have come across cases before where interesting subjects were covered by people full of good intentions but with somewhat less than the required skills and craftsmanship in what and how they write. This can be tiring and potentially disappointing for the reader ...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

A somewhat direct and open question: Would "workmanlike" be an actual, honest-to-earth description or a polite euphemism for what others might call "pedestrian"? I realize optinions of which is which may vary and boundaries are not all that precise. But I have come across cases before where interesting subjects were covered by people full of good intentions but with somewhat less than the required skills and craftsmanship in what and how they write. This can be tiring and potentially disappointing for the reader ...

She went back to school to complete her degree. She's a trained academic with post-degree work in research techniques.  Have you seen a lot of scintillating academic writers?  I am not saying its overly academic and certainly contains no jargon. But writing isn't her greatest contribution to the project, its proximity to the subject and usage of materials he left behind plus considerable perseverance in uncovering the truth of his 'lost decade' which he refused to discuss in any form or fashion, as well as the full circumstances of his last arrest for drugs and the death of his long-term girlfriend which had a very negative effect on Gordon.

On a separate note, who knew that the owner of Steeplechase was such a dick when Dexter was ready to sign with Columbia? Not very gracious or appreciative of Dexter's work for that label at a time that it was just getting off the ground.

I certainly would not expect "academic" writing in biographies. On the contrary. I was just wondering about what the "workmanlike" attribute actually means when you get to the core of it. ;)
Maybe in the sense that given the proximity to the subject and to new source material some may feel that "a lot more could have been made out of it if only ...." ;) (I've come across cases like this before, therefore I was asking)

My take: The author didn't have any sort of obligation to share the very personal details about the end of her relationship with Woody Shaw and the start of her relationship with Dexter.  The book isn't billed as a "Tell All" -- or even a memoir.  I liked the book because I learned a great deal about Dexter, the way he thought about himself and about his music.

As for the quality of the writing: It wasn't what you might expect from a professional writer or experienced biographer. But I wasn't expecting that -- and I've certain read many jazz books that were far worse from a writing-quality point of view.

Edited by HutchFan

29 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

On a separate note, who knew that the owner of Steeplechase was such a dick when Dexter was ready to sign with Columbia? Not very gracious or appreciative of Dexter's work for that label at a time that it was just getting off the ground.

Yes I agree. I was disappointed to hear that. I do wish they actually said how much they had to pay Steeplechase. He may have just seen it as a chance to “stick it to the big label” and wasn’t anything against Dexter. Those Steeplechase contracts sounded like a horrible one for the artist though. 

9 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

Yes I agree. I was disappointed to hear that. I do wish they actually said how much they had to pay Steeplechase. He may have just seen it as a chance to “stick it to the big label” and wasn’t anything against Dexter. Those Steeplechase contracts sounded like a horrible one for the artist though. 

Don`t know about/how concise payment of royalities was with SteepleChase, but Nils Winthers offered Dexter Gordon the possibility of recording dates/releases during a time span when the majors .... were not so interested .... 

15 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Don`t know about/how concise payment of royalities was with SteepleChase, but Nils Winthers offered Dexter Gordon the possibility of recording dates/releases during a time span when the majors .... were not so interested .... 

I was referring to owning the right for perpetuity including the compositions if I remember correctly. I don’t have the book on hand. Have you read the book to know the scenario we are referring?

17 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Dexter was in month long residencies at clubs and didn't need new recordings. Nils Winthers was trying to get his business off the ground and Dex considered it a favor to a young jazz fan that he signed with him. Winthers does not come off well in the book, including having his lawyer send an obnoxious letter to Dex after he said something deragotory in a 1982 interview. Dex never discussed the label again with anyone, per Maxine.

Edited by Dan Gould

51 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

My take: The author didn't have any sort of obligation to share the very personal details about the end of her relationship with Woody Shaw and the start of her relationship with Dexter.  The book isn't billed as a "Tell All" -- or even a memoir.  I liked the book because I learned a great deal about Dexter, the way he thought about himself and about his music.

As for the quality of the writing: It wasn't what you might expect from a professional writer or experienced biographer. But I wasn't expecting that -- and I've certain read many jazz books that were far worse from a writing-quality point of view.

Not an "obligation," but what happened there in, so to speak, human terms is something that I and others have wondered about since it happened --  that's all.

26 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

I was referring to owning the right for perpetuity including the compositions if I remember correctly. I don’t have the book on hand. Have you read the book to know the scenario we are referring?

No , I have most of the recordings/releases I`m referring to ....

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...