Pierre Boulez, dies at 90

7/4

Pierre Boulez, French Composer, Dies at 90

Pierre Boulez, the French composer and conductor who was a dominant figure in classical music for over half a century, died on Tuesday at his home in Baden-Baden, Germany. He was 90.

His death was confirmed by his family in a statement to the Philharmonie de Paris.

Mr. Boulez belonged to an extraordinary generation of European composers who, while still in their 20s, came to the forefront during the decade or so after World War II. They wanted to change music radically, and Mr. Boulez took a leading role. His “Marteau Sans Maître” (“Hammer Without a Master”) was one of this group’s first major achievements, and it remains a central work of modern music.

Simon Rattle and the performers dedicated the first night of their London Pelléas to Boulez. Rattle said he had known PB as mentor and friend for 45 years, made reference to his many performances with the LSO, and mentioned that Pelléas is "one of the works he has taught us".

That was very fitting and rounding for me, not least someone who has been present at most of Boulez' performances in London in the last x-many years. I am trying not to regret every time I missed one.

23 hours ago, StarThrower said:

A moving tribute from Cleveland Orchestra members.

Was lucky enough to have been in Severance Hall for that 90th bday tribute (a year ago this Friday) -- and to have seen the maestro many times over the years in Cleveland and Chicago. One thing I can't stress enough is how incredible his own compositions sound live. The DG set of his oeuvre is spectacular but I would also encourage anyone who has an opportunity to hear his music performed live (and hopefully, well) to check it out. He was truly a "tone scientist" (as Mr. Ra might say) of the highest order.

This and the loss of Paul Bley within a week is a shitty start to 2016...

There's a very honest article from 1965 here:

On Boulez: ' There is no point in pretending that I understand his music but it enthrals me'

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/12/from-the-classical-archive-pierre-boulez-edinburgh-festival-1965

From the end of the article:

"In any conventional meaning of the word, I do not “understand” “Pli selon pli.” On a superficial level it certainly has plenty to offer. I enjoy the graceful vocal melisma of the improvisations; and at each hearing the colours and textures that Boulez draws from a huge orchestra - in which an unconventional layout of conventional instruments is supported by a prodigious array of percussion that gives the score its characteristic palette, something between latter-day Messiaen and the Oriental gamelang orchestra - seem not only more striking and original but more subtle and precise.

But I do not grasp what logic gives the work its sense of direction. At most, I perceive the force of individual sentences, and that no doubt, is why parts of it sound monotonous. Yet at moments I was spellbound, and not merely by the sound. The notes themselves commanded attention. And although in whole episodes meaning eluded me, the sum of those passages in which shape and sense loomed through the clouds left an overwhelming impression.

I cannot for the life of me say why, but I am convinced that “Pli selon pli” is an important work, different in essence from the arbitrary effusions of so much advanced doodling, and crucial in the music of our time. Only the years will show whether I have dimly perceived something of importance, or whether, as one colleague bluntly asserted, I am deceiving myself."

There's a very honest article from 1965 here:

On Boulez: ' There is no point in pretending that I understand his music but it enthrals me'

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/12/from-the-classical-archive-pierre-boulez-edinburgh-festival-1965

From the end of the article:

"In any conventional meaning of the word, I do not “understand” “Pli selon pli.” On a superficial level it certainly has plenty to offer. I enjoy the graceful vocal melisma of the improvisations; and at each hearing the colours and textures that Boulez draws from a huge orchestra - in which an unconventional layout of conventional instruments is supported by a prodigious array of percussion that gives the score its characteristic palette, something between latter-day Messiaen and the Oriental gamelang orchestra - seem not only more striking and original but more subtle and precise.

But I do not grasp what logic gives the work its sense of direction. At most, I perceive the force of individual sentences, and that no doubt, is why parts of it sound monotonous. Yet at moments I was spellbound, and not merely by the sound. The notes themselves commanded attention. And although in whole episodes meaning eluded me, the sum of those passages in which shape and sense loomed through the clouds left an overwhelming impression.

I cannot for the life of me say why, but I am convinced that “Pli selon pli” is an important work, different in essence from the arbitrary effusions of so much advanced doodling, and crucial in the music of our time. Only the years will show whether I have dimly perceived something of importance, or whether, as one colleague bluntly asserted, I am deceiving myself."

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...