More boxes from Sony

I have all of the new ones and am very happy with all of them.  As far as Ellington Vol. 1, what I have seen with these boxes is they go OOP and then get reprinted eventually, and the prices readjust accordingly.  The Woody Shaw went from $40 to $100+ and then back to $40.

14 hours ago, bogdan101 said:

If anyone needs Ellington vol. 1, popmarket still has it at a reasonable price. Looks to be out of print and it goes for silly money on amazon.

I ordered the Ellington vol. 1 from Popmarket in back in November, and although the status was "Available," it is still backordered with no expected shipping date. 

38 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

I won't be getting the Monk b/c I have 95% of the material on the previous early 2000's Legacy reissues, but to me the '94 remastering of Big Band and Concert by Vic Anesini sounds fine.  It's right when Columbia/Legacy remasters started sounding really good.

Agreed, it's a good sounding transfer, and the version in the box set sounds quite good. I had wanted a new remaster but listening to the disc in the set I don't hanker for one any longer. Also nice about the box is that material from Mysterioso and the Straight No Chaser soundtrack disc are added to one of the Newport discs.

Edited by jazzbo

45 minutes ago, erwbol said:

I still have nightmares about the Columbia blue border Mingus Ah Um CD (original LP mix and cuts), but that must have been from earlier I guess. It ended up in the trash.

Yes, those were earlier.  That particular one was from 1990.  And the CD's in that series were trash in concept and execution.  Some really bizarre 40 minute compliations also of some really important artists (such as the JJ Johnson).  They got much better very quickly later in the decade.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Agreed, it's a good sounding transfer, and the version in the box set sounds quite good. I had wanted a new remaster but listening to the disc in the set I don't hanker for one any longer. Also nice about the box is that material from Mysterioso and the Straight No Chaser soundtrack disc are added to one of the Newport discs.

Thanks Lon! I definitely trust your ears.  Cool they added bonus material to the Newport discs.

13 hours ago, jazzbo said:

These box sets in general sound great to my ears.  No complaints about any of them, and no need for me to look for anything better.  Wish I could find a good sounding, reasonably priced CD release of Wayne Shorter's "Native Dancer", as that is the only thing remotely of interest to me in the Shorter box.

16 hours ago, felser said:

Yes, those were earlier.  That particular one was from 1990.  And the CD's in that series were trash in concept and execution.  Some really bizarre 40 minute compliations also of some really important artists (such as the JJ Johnson).  They got much better very quickly later in the decade.

Columbia Jazz Masterworks -- I still have a few. In fact I was able to discard several after getting these (and earlier) boxes.

That said, I believe Jazz Party in the Ellington box is the same as the Masterworks version.

On 1/7/2016 at 8:56 AM, billyboy said:

I ordered the Ellington vol. 1 from Popmarket in back in November, and although the status was "Available," it is still backordered with no expected shipping date. 

I had the same problem with the Dexter Gordon set recently.  I get the feeling they aren't too concerned about the website being accurate.  They did refund me right away when I asked, though.  

Edited by bluesoul

10 hours ago, felser said:

These box sets in general sound great to my ears.  No complaints about any of them, and no need for me to look for anything better.  Wish I could find a good sounding, reasonably priced CD release of Wayne Shorter's "Native Dancer", as that is the only thing remotely of interest to me in the Shorter box.

There is a Blu-Spec 2 CD from Japan that I don't think is too unreasonably priced if purchased with other discs from Japan to defray postage. I confess I'm learning to like the other material more but Native Dancer IS the jewel in the crown.

On 1/7/2016 at 6:40 PM, jazzbo said:

We've talked about these on the bargain boxes thread. I have all three of the new ones. The Ellington and Monk are not as fulfilling in new remasterings as I'd like but nice. The Blakey has the most new for the buck for most of us probably.

I picked this one (i.e. the Blakey) up - agreed on the content side.

Cuscuna did the notes - both they and the discographical info are "Mosaic Select"-like.  Exceeded my expectations.

Edited by Eric

On 1/7/2016 at 8:56 AM, billyboy said:

The Ellington vol. 1 is showing up for order on Amazon Prime now for $60.20, Temporarily out of stock.  So maybe this is getting reprinted.

I received an email from Mosaic on these three today.  They make clear that they don't have them in stock and they they will place a bulk order from Sony and then ship to their customers.

They are offering the Blakey set for $69.98.  Amazon Prime has it for $34.26.  Amazon sellers have it as low as $22.59 new.

I'm not bashing Mosaic and I hope for their sake they sell the hell out of it at $69.98.  I have always wondered "who" that customer is.  The sad irony of course is that ten years ago, $69.98 would have sounded like a great price for an 8-CD Blakey box.  As I mentioned above, it is a nice piece - detailed Cuscuna notes, good discographical info.