Mosaics for sale on iTunes.

I wasn't aware that you could find Mosaics on iTunes. I thought once a set with out of print, that was it. I only did a small search. I tried two sets I have and found both.

Lou Donaldson.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/complete-blue-note-lou-donaldson/id715640262

Horace Parlan.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/complete-horace-parlan-blue/id716218033

Edit:

I found another, Ahmad Jamal.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ahmad-jamal/id76328

So far just these three sets I see for sale on iTunes.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

There are lots more.  Buddy Rich, Gerry Mulligan, Elvin Jones, tons of Selects...  Also on Amazon, usually for a few dollars less.  There have been other threads here regarding this.

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A163856011%2Ck%3Acapitol+vaults+jazz+series%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A625150011&keywords=capitol+vaults+jazz+series&ie=UTF8&qid=1452227958

12 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

So far just these three sets I see for sale on iTunes.

There are lots more on iTunes.  Do a search for "Capitol Vaults Jazz Series."  16 titles appear.  All of these were either Mosaic boxes or Selects.  Also, the Buddy Rich is available (search for Buddy Rich Verve), as is the Gerry Mulligan ("The Complete Verve Concert Band") and Carmell Jones.  Probably more too.  The Selects are usually a great deal (the Carmell Jones is $15.99).  

Also Duke Ellington (The Reprise Studio Recordings).

Also Johnny Hodges (The Complete Verve Small Sessions 1956-1961).

Dinah Washington (The Complete Roulette Collection).

Tal Farlow (The Complete Verve Sessions).

Roy Eldridge (The Complete Verve Studio Sessions).

Tidal's new store does have 10 of these in Flac.  Some of the prices are fine, and a couple are strangely high. Go to http://tidal.com/us/store/ and search "Capitol Vaults".  One can also subscribe to the streaming service, which seems to have all 17 of them, and one may opt for the Flac quality tier.

Edited by tatifan

On 1/8/2016 at 1:33 PM, mjzee said:

True.  Very weird.  Missing is the album Blues Caravan.  Cannot figure out why.

That is weird.  I initially thought that it was because Blues Caravan had been a part of that limited LPR Verve series years ago, but so had Buddy and Sweets.  I have and enjoy both; I really should pick up that set.

I went through my Mosaic checklist and have attempted to put links to those titles available for streaming.  I have no idea if all of these are also available to purchase as Flac downloads, but it's certainly worth a look.  In any case, there are many sets here I never grabbed, so with the aid of a discography or two, there's been some serious listening done!

• The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions (#181) TIDAL
  • #192 The Complete Capitol Recordings of Gene Krupa & Harry James (7 CDs) TIDAL
  • #193 Duke Ellington: The Reprise Studio Recordings (5 CDs) TIDAL
  • #195 The Complete Blue Note Elvin Jones Sessions (8 CDs) TIDAL
  • #197 The Complete Blue Note Horace Parlan Session (5 CDs or 8 Q-LPs) TIDAL
  • #200 The Complete Verve Johnny Hodges Small Group Sessions 1956-61 (6 CDs) TIDAL
  • #201 The Complete Mercury Max Roach Plus Four Sessions (7 CDs) TIDAL
  • #210 The Complete Capitol Bobby Hackett Solo Sessions (5 CDs) TIDAL
  • #215 The Complete Blue Note Lou Donaldson Sessions 1957-1960 (6 CDs) TIDAL
  • #221 The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band Sessions (4 CDs) TIDAL
  • #224 The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions (7 CDs) TIDAL
  • #225 The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson/Jazztet Sessions (7 CDs) TIDAL
  • #229 The Complete Clef/Verve Count Basie Fifties Studio Recordings (8 CDs) TIDAL
  • #232 The Classic Argo, Emarcy & Verve Small Group Buddy Rich Session (7 CDs) TIDAL
  • The Oliver Nelson Verve/Impulse Big Band Sessions (#233)  TIDAL
  • #234 The Verve/Philips Dizzy Gillespie Small Group Sessions (7 CDs) TIDAL
  • #237 The Quincy Jones ABC/Mercury Big BAnd Jazz Sessions (5 CDs) TIDAL
  • The Complete Clef/Mercury Rec. Of Oscar Peterson Trio (#241) TIDAL
  • The Complete Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions (#246)   TIDAL

• MS-002 Mosaic Select: Carmell Jones TIDAL
  • MS-003 Mosaic Select: Bennie Green TIDAL
  • MS-005 Mosaic Select: Paul Chambers TIDAL
  • MS-006 Mosaic Select: John Patton TIDAL
  • MS-009 Mosaic Select: Bob Brookmeyer TIDAL
  • MS-010 Mosaic Select: Bud Shank/Bob Cooper TIDAL
  • MS-011 Mosaic Select: Dizzy Reece TIDAL
  • MS-013 Mosaic Select: Don Pullen TIDAL
  • MS-014 Mosaic Select: Dexter Gordon TIDAL
  • MS-015 Mosaic Select: Art Pepper TIDAL
  • MS-016 Mosaic Select: Andrew Hill TIDAL
  • MS-026 Mosaic Select: Bobby Hutcherson TIDAL
  • MS-028 Mosaic Select: Johnny Mercer TIDAL

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• 1 month later...

While the selection is quite odd and the search feature less than ideal, it is worth seeing if your public library has a subscription to Hoopla, which allows you to check out (and then stream) music or movies for a week.  One significant downside is that you can only check out 6 or 7 titles per month (but as far as I can tell, each family member with a library card can have a different account!).  Also, it is a completely free service, so I can accept some of its limitations.

The main reason I am mentioning this is that they have the Ahmad Jamal Mosaic in their collection.  Not sure about any other Mosaics, but I'll do a search later.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the titles on Tidal also show up here.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, mjzee said:

There are lots more on iTunes.  Do a search for "Capitol Vaults Jazz Series."  16 titles appear.  All of these were either Mosaic boxes or Selects.  Also, the Buddy Rich is available (search for Buddy Rich Verve), as is the Gerry Mulligan ("The Complete Verve Concert Band") and Carmell Jones.  Probably more too.  The Selects are usually a great deal (the Carmell Jones is $15.99).  

Also Duke Ellington (The Reprise Studio Recordings).

Also Johnny Hodges (The Complete Verve Small Sessions 1956-1961).

Dinah Washington (The Complete Roulette Collection).

Tal Farlow (The Complete Verve Sessions).

Roy Eldridge (The Complete Verve Studio Sessions).

No results on iTunes for "Dinah Washington The Complete Roulette Collection".

Has anyone any idea of what the real title of this set is? It's one I should have bought when it was out.

Another point - I looked at the Donaldson and iTunes UK are NOT offering it for anything other than streaming. OK, it sez the streaming is free. That's unhelpful if you want to put the original albums together in tracklist order.

Anyone know what the deal is here or where you can actually buy this stuff as downloads?

MG