Insomnia

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'd ask him. . . he possibly has better advice than an internet jazz board. . . .

It's her, actually. I will next time. What she will doubtless offer is drugs again, though, and I don't want to go that route at all...I do get 5 or 6 hours sleep a night or sometimes more, albeit choppy. It's better than some people do...

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'd ask him. . . he possibly has better advice than an internet jazz board. . . .

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Is it possible there's some cause she could investigate or discover causing your insomnia? It's certainly not normal for me. With my wife it's menopause causing sleep problems. That's not your problem though!

I do like my doctor. She's good people. I have been seeing her for 11 years, and do not have to pay on my plan, so it's worth taking advantage of. I mentioned that I had quit all prescription drugs cold turkey recently. I went to see her yesterday because I was peeing constantly. (Blood tests showed me to be pre-diabetic, and I feared I had full-blown diabetes---which turned out not to be the case). She told me to go back on the drug Tamulosin, and I heeded her advice. 

I don't know what she would recommend for insommnia. You can bet it will be a drug. That's her and other doctors' training. That's what they know, and drug companies are constantly wooing them with fat paydays for going along. 

I tried Ambien before, but it had a near-hallucinatory effect. I took Lorazepam for years and became hooked. I won't go back, just straight ahead. 

Edited by fasstrack

I guess what I was trying to say is that perhaps there is some medical reason you have insomnia and treating the condition may be a better course than trying to drug yourself into slumber. I would wager she would care to investigate and/or refer you to someone who may be able to get to the bottom of it.

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Is it possible there's some cause she could investigate or discover causing your insomnia? It's certainly not normal for me. With my wife it's menopause causing sleep problems. That's not your problem though!

I do like my doctor. She's good people. I have been seeing her for 11 years, and do not have to pay on my plan, so it's worth taking advantage of. I mentioned that I had quit all prescription drugs cold turkey recently. I went to see her yesterday because I was peeing constantly. (Blood tests showed me to be pre-diabetic, and I feared I had full-blown diabetes---which turned out not to be the case). She told me to go back on the drug Tamulosin, and I heeded her advice. 

I don't know what she would recomend for insommnia. You can bet it will be a drug. That's her and other doctors' training. That's what they know, and drug companies are constantly wooing them with fat paydays for going along. 

I tried Ambien before, but it had a near-hallucinatory effect. I took Lorazepam for years and became hooked. I won't go back, just straight ahead. 

All of a sudden the quote option doesn't work, so:

Jazzbo: It's worth a shot. As I said, I trust her. She ain't bad for a 'cookbook' practitioner. If it keeps up I'll consult her, thanks.

JSngry: :g

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

If only he'd donned earrings and danced around in high heel boots!

I was serious about the dignity he sat there and played with. I was quoting another trombonist whose name I can't recall now. That's what all my jazz heroes did (though I am not at all against entertaining. It's important to reach people, also get them to like you). But part of the beauty of jazz is that you trust the listener to get it without bells, whistles, a bandstand looking like mission control, dancing monkeys, etc.

6 hours ago, fasstrack said:

dancing monkeys

Dude, if them monkeys was dancing Balanchine or some such, I would not feel bad about them or me being there. Would you? Would you feel bad about dancing monkeys dancing Balanchine just because they were dancing monkeys? Would you deprive yourself of seeing some Balanchine just because it was monkeys dancing it?

I for one would be riveted, because, hey, Balanchine. Fuck the monkeys, it's Balanchine.

For me, getting a good night of sleep requires (very) active planning, but it works most of the time.  It feels "boring" at times, but I am sold on the outcome.  Your hours, activities will vary.

I start backwards - I want to be at the gym at 6:00.  So I have to get up at 5:30.  For seven hours sleep, that means I have to be asleep by 10:30.  I know from experience, that means no eating or drinking (alcohol) for three hours prior.  Those parameters mean I don't eat or drink after 7:30 pm.  Yeah, that is pretty boring.  The key for me has been routine.  Maybe someone just needs to be up by 9:00 am.  Adjust accordingly, but stick to the routine.  I use my phone to set alerts to remind me to stop eating and drinking - those are useful.  I also cut way back on caffeine - way back.

I had previously tried all the legal pharma solutions (for years).  I prefer the natural route and picked up the above from some of the guys who also work out at 6:00.  I concluded that if I wanted to get this right, I had to make it an enormous priority in my life and be very intentional about my calendar, every day.  I've been at this almost three years.  When I follow the routine, it does work.  

Edited by Eric

4 hours ago, Eric said:

For me, getting a good night of sleep requires (very) active planning, but it works most of the time.  It feels "boring" at times, but I am sold on the outcome.  Your hours, activities will vary.

I start backwards - I want to be at the gym at 6:00.  So I have to get up at 5:30.  For seven hours sleep, that means I have to be asleep by 10:30.  I know from experience, that means no eating or drinking (alcohol) for three hours prior.  Those parameters mean I don't eat or drink after 7:30 pm.  Yeah, that is pretty boring.  The key for me has been routine.  Maybe someone just needs to be up by 9:00 am.  Adjust accordingly, but stick to the routine.  I use my phone to set alerts to remind me to stop eating and drinking - those are useful.  I also cut way back on caffeine - way back.

I had previously tried all the legal pharma solutions (for years).  I prefer the natural route and picked up the above from some of the guys who also work out at 6:00.  I concluded that if I wanted to get this right, I had to make it an enormous priority in my life and be very intentional about my calendar,  every day.  I've been at this almost three years.  When I follow the routine, it does work.  

I'm not as disciplined as you. Plus, a glass of wine slows me down and relaxes me. (I just bought a bottle). I made the mistake last night of listening to music on youtube, and that kept me up awhile. Won't repeat that error.

Sounds like you have a good routine. Good for you...:tup

39 minutes ago, fasstrack said:

I'm not as disciplined as you. Plus, a glass of wine slows me down and relaxes me. (I just bought a bottle). I made the mistake last night of listening to music on youtube, and that kept me up awhile. Won't repeat that error.

Sounds like you have a good routine. Good for you...:tup

Thanks.  I was on the "wildly undisciplined" :P team for most of my adult life (54 now) .  Lack of sleep had become a major, major issue.  I figured 50-ish was the tipping point for making a major, meaningful health change.  It started with a re-dedication to exercise and subsequent discovery that I couldn't do squat unless I had a good night of sleep.

I was also lucky to re-marry four years ago.  For years, I went to sleep with the stereo on.  That did not quite sync with the wife and so gave that up as well.  I still think that sucks :P, but I can live with it.

I have been reading this thread and best of luck to you.  I still have a "massive fail" every couple weeks - eating and/or drinking late and/or binging on Law and Order re-runs.  I skip the gym and then the "old me" starts the seduction game again ... boring is bad, etc., etc.  90% of sleep is half mental, or something like that :P

On 30/04/2016 at 9:41 AM, Eric said:

Thanks.  I was on the "wildly undisciplined" :P team for most of my adult life (54 now) .  Lack of sleep had become a major, major issue.  I figured 50-ish was the tipping point for making a major, meaningful health change.  It started with a re-dedication to exercise and subsequent discovery that I couldn't do squat unless I had a good night of sleep.

I was also lucky to re-marry four years ago.  For years, I went to sleep with the stereo on.  That did not quite sync with the wife and so gave that up as well.  I still think that sucks :P, but I can live with it.

I have been reading this thread and best of luck to you.  I still have a "massive fail" every couple weeks - eating and/or drinking late and/or binging on Law and Order re-runs.  I skip the gym and then the "old me" starts the seduction game again ... boring is bad, etc., etc.  90% of sleep is half mental, or something like that :P

Like anything else worth doing I guess one has to get a plan and stick to it. Best of luck to you, too :tup

Still taking the herbs, and I guess I will until they run out. They do sort of knock me out. I do wake up after a few hours sometimes, though. But it's getting easier to go back to sleep...

Edited by fasstrack

I've noticed that this thread exists, but haven't been following it.  Nonetheless, the following article showed up in my Facebook news feed.  I have no idea whether this works, but merely offer it up for examination: http://themindunleashed.org/2016/05/boil-bananas-before-bed-drink-the-liquid-and-you-will-not-believe-what-happens-to-your-sleep.html