David Bowie has died.

GA Russell

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big fan for a long time here.  The new record is fantastic (with Donny McCaslin's wonderful electric jazz group) and I have to say that I have been in shock since I heard the news this AM.  Thankfully, like last Friday (release day for Blackstar), KEXP is streaming his music all day.

PS - I feel very fortunate to have seen the "David Bowie Is" exhibit here at the MCA last year.  A life highlight, at least for me.

Pianist and Bowie collaborator Mike Garson...

I was about to say "jazz pianist" (which is true), but honestly, his approach is really a LOT more classical-sounding, than 'jazz' per se...

Pianist and Bowie collaborator Mike Garson is a really plus on a number of Bowie's post-"Tin Machine" efforts (including as part of a few of his live bands).

I know Garson worked with Bowie in the early 70's and was on 2-3 albums (Aladdin Sane especially), but Garson also contributed to all five of Bowie's post-"Tin Machine" ISO Records albums (Outside, Earthling, Hours, Heathen, and Reality) -- and Garson also appears on Reality Live as well as another rare live Bowie CD called liveandwell (only available through the Bowie fanclub, but official, with live material from Outside and Earthling).

Garson plays these MASSAVE classically-influenced piano solos (on grand piano, and grand-piano-sounding synth-patches), over skittering electronica-like beats and electric bass -- and there's NO reason that should even work together -- and yet it did, and beautifully.

Bowie's voice was spectacular in the late 90's and early 2000's -- as good a vibrato control as ever in his entire career - and he was just a much better singer during that 10-year period (1995-2004), than ever before or since (though his last two albums are still pretty amazing, even if there's some more 'age' to his voice).

Later-day Bowie was really something special, and really underrated, IMHO.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

I always thought his duet with Bing Crosby, of all people, was one of the oddest, yet sweetest ones I've ever seen, and sort of appropriate I think: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbJLo4x-tk

gregmo

I remember watching this when it first aired.  That Christmas special was Mr. Crosby's last and one of his last projects ever.  It aired just a couple of months after his passing.  I watched it fully expecting the meeting of Bing Crosby and David Bowie in a Christmas special to be some sort of historic mind-blowing kitschy train wreck.  I fully expected it would be something all the kids at school would mock the next day.  But the big moment came and it wasn't a train wreck.  It was actually kind of touching and has become a Christmas classic (all the more impressive given that the story is they had to come up with lyrics for Mr. Bowie to sing on the spur of the moment after he declined to sing "Little Drummer Boy").  Strange, but also not strange because Bing Crosby was, hands down, the best vocal duet partner in the history of recorded music, able to perform comfortably and naturally with any one while still retaining his own personality and unique style.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I was about to say "jazz pianist" (which is true), but honestly, his approach is really a LOT more classical-sounding, than 'jazz' per se...

Pianist and Bowie collaborator Mike Garson is a really plus on a number of Bowie's post-"Tin Machine" efforts (including as part of a few of his live bands).

I know Garson worked with Bowie in the early 70's and was on 2-3 albums (Aladdin Sane especially), but Garson also contributed to all five of Bowie's post-"Tin Machine" ISO Records albums (Outside, Earthling, Hours, Heathen, and Reality) -- and Garson also appears on Reality Live as well as another rare live Bowie CD called liveandwell (only available through the Bowie fanclub, but official, with live material from Outside and Earthling).

Garson plays these MASSAVE classically-influenced piano solos (on grand piano, and grand-piano-sounding synth-patches), over skittering electronica-like beats and electric bass -- and there's NO reason that should even work together -- and yet it did, and beautifully.

Bowie's voice was spectacular in the late 90's and early 2000's -- as good a vibrato control as ever in his entire career - and he was just a much better singer during that 10-year period (1995-2004), than ever before or since (though his last two albums are still pretty amazing, even if there's some more 'age' to his voice).

Can you give me the one "start here" recommendation for this material, the one record to spur me on towards more, if at all? I'm interested, maybe?t

I always liked him but wasn't a huge fan.  Despite that I did see Ziggy Stardust at The Rainbow in London with Roxy Music as the opening act.  I also once saw his mentor Lindsay Kemp perform Wilde's Salome and that was amazing as well as giving insight into Bowie. 

Edited by medjuck

He sort of belongs with my growing up and discovering music. I've sung a few of his songs when I was in this pop-rock choir. "Heroes" was among those. Some really good songs which still remember me of events and times I treasure. I liked that he was so different and just went his own way.
R.I.P. David and thank you for broadening my mind in music!

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Can you give me the one "start here" recommendation for this material, the one record to spur me on towards more, if at all? I'm interested, maybe?t

If I were to go with one release in particular, I'd go with Reality Live -- and specifically the 2CD edition (which is longer than the DVD).  About half of it is newer (post-"Tin Machine") material, and is about as good an overview as you'll find -- plus a lot of great, updated versions of older material.

LOTS of Bowie's 90's and 2000's material can be found pretty cheap, and MY favorites (in order), are:

1. Reality

2. The Next Day

3. Heathen

4. Earthling -- but, Jim, in your case, I might actually start with this one (his most electronica-influenced record).

5. Outside

But, Jim, you really should get his most recent album -- just released Friday -- Blackstar.  It's nothing short of spectacular.  I think you can probably find full-length-album uploads of every one of these (on YouTube), and they're all on Spotify.  I'd give 'em all a spin, and see what you think.

I've had Blackstar on order from Dusty Groove since last week, should arrive sometimes this week (Media Mail...didn't know the cat was gonna up and die, would have gotten faster shipping if I had). Earthling & Reality are on order thru Amazon Marketplace. Should be fun, thanks for the tips!

7 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

What a great artist. He certainly did one of the most striking farewells in my memory:

Stunning.  Watched it several times today.

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

If I were to go with one release in particular, I'd go with Reality Live -- and specifically the 2CD edition (which is longer than the DVD).  About half of it is newer (post-"Tin Machine") material, and is about as good an overview as you'll find -- plus a lot of great, updated versions of older material.

LOTS of Bowie's 90's and 2000's material can be found pretty cheap, and MY favorites (in order), are:

1. Reality

2. The Next Day

3. Heathen

4. Earthling -- but, Jim, in your case, I might actually start with this one (his most electronica-influenced record).

5. Outside

But, Jim, you really should get his most recent album -- just released Friday -- Blackstar.  It's nothing short of spectacular.  I think you can probably find full-length-album uploads of every one of these (on YouTube), and they're all on Spotify.  I'd give 'em all a spin, and see what you think.

Yeah, what he said - it will all float your boat.  I would bump up Outside, but ...

There is a box that reissues 4 of the 5 above (excludes Next Day). Each CD contains a bonus disc.  Nice way to grab all five.  Edit: The box includes "Hours" not listed above.  I don't know that one.

Edited by Eric

5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I always found it interesting he hired his "cousin" Lester for the Black Tie White Noise project.

An on-line joke I've been reusing for 10+ years, is to say his "brother" Lester (without the quotes) -- and when the inevitable "you don't know what you're talking about, because Bowie's real was David Jones!!" reply comes around from somebody, I always say "what about the striking family resemblance?"

Of course the reply-ee never has any idea what Lester Bowie looks like, and when I'm really lucky, I can occasionally string the argument along for two or three more iterations before they finally look.

It's a pretty juvenile routine, I'll admit, but half the time someone will fall for the bait - which is why I keep doing it whenever the chance presents itself. :cool:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

As a bit of an outsider where Bowie is concerned I've been amazed at how this has swamped the media. When Bowie was at his 70s height pop/rock music found it hard to get a look-in on BBC TV or in the British daily papers. Last night's 10 PM news was half given over to Bowie, pushing the junior doctors strike, divisions in the Labour/Tory parties, Syria etc way down the billing. The Guardian 'Culture' pages today have temporarily abandoned their blanket coverage of Amy Winehouse and Taylor Swift with endless articles about Bowie.

Not a complaint...it's just really interesting how music that was once thought of as rebellious or alternative is the music that the establishment of today grew up with (even Eton Boy got in on the act pretty early....god knows how he'll cope if one of Supertramp dies). From a British perspective what is most interesting is how it shows Britain has changed - homophobia has far from disappeared (listen to any group of kids talking - 'gay' is still a term of abuse from everything from a disliked fellow student to a pen that won't work) but the distance travelled since the early 70s is phenomenal. As many reports mentioned yesterday, Bowie's androgyny (real or acted out) helped to break down those barriers. I suspect part of my aversion to Bowie in the early 70s was learnt homophobia (it took having a friend at university who spectacularly 'came out' to see things differently). 

There's a short but interesting remembrance here from someone you wouldn't instantly think of as pop music fan, classical pianist Stephen Hough:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/11/stephen-hough-david-bowie-filled-my-time-as-i-wasted-my-time

A long way from a world where establishment leaders and cultural maestros were associated with conducting Elgar or 'appreciating' Callas, Schwartzkopf or whoever and preferred to be seen at The Wigmore Hall rather than The Rainbow.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I heard at least two BBC presenters mention in passing when they'd seen Bowie live. I think the depth of coverage has been down in no small part to the producers of the programmes being of an age where they grew up with his music or its influence. The best analysis I saw was Paul Mason's piece on C4 news - really got to the heart of Bowie's musical, cultural and social impact

Noticeably Eton boy could only comment on Bowie being a "Pop artist" not the most in depth analysis of his impact - surprising that........

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I heard at least two BBC presenters mention in passing when they'd seen Bowie live. I think the depth of coverage has been down in no small part to the producers of the programmes being of an age where they grew up with his music or its influence. The best analysis I saw was Paul Mason's piece on C4 news - really got to the heart of Bowie's musical, cultural and social impact

Noticeably Eton boy could only comment on Bowie being a "Pop artist" not the most in depth analysis of his impact - surprising that........

The irony is that Bowie stands in total contrast to Cameron. The latter is still trying to convince us that we are still the same old Christian nation. 

Outside is a fantastic album. That album is 20 years old and I have always been disappointed they never followed through on Part II & III. They talked about it at the time. This week, Eno is saying they had been discussing it recently.

On 1/11/2016 at 0:03 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

This is a really fantastic post.  I have been thinking about this since yesterday and hearing Aladdin Sane (title cut, of course) today made me jump out of my seat.  Garson was really an asset but then again, he knew how to assemble a great group to realize his work.  I mean, look at the core band from STS through Scary Monsters (with a nod to Belew at the end of that era).