First Complete Recording of Schönberg String Quartets (1936/37)

Late

MI0001071523.jpg?partner=allrovi.com 

Just received this yesterday, and have made it through two discs so far. Schönberg played with passion! The first two discs contain the private recordings of the string quartets that Alfred Newman arranged at United Artists studios with Schönberg's approval. If you don't mind the sound of 78s, and are already a Schönberg fan, then I'd have to say that this box is a must-have. It's recently dropped in price on eBay. (Around $33, with free shipping, as of last week.)

With Schönberg, I've always thought it necessary to have superlative sound in order to closely hear the inner workings of his compositions. This box set changed my mind. These are historical recordings (excellent for the period, actually), but the playing more than makes up for any sonic shortcomings.

Try to find Fred Steiner's article "A History of The First Complete Recording of The Schoenberg String Quartets" to accompany this set. It's an excellent read. I have a pdf of the article, but it's too big to attach here.

Anyone else here have this box set and enjoy it?

Edited by Late
because of umlauts.

52 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

My collection software says I entered the box in September of 2004. Lots of other fine stuff in the set including the Dial sessions by the Pro Arte Quartet. I have had some of the Dial lps for decades and treasure them. I am certain I have praised this box on this board a couple of times.

I picked it up on your recommendation a few years ago.

Just put it on while you're doing dishes ... but then the dishes won't get washed.

I did a search for "Kolisch" before starting this thread, but nothing came up. But I'm glad there are already fans here. I didn't even realize the box set's been around for so long. Maybe that's why it's been discounted recently. Lots of old stock?

Schönberg was present for these recordings. They'd never even been performed live (— that would come a few days later). The original set of private pressings was handed out to friends and colleagues. George Gershwin was a recipient of one set. Apparently he dug Mr. Beautiful Mountain.

14 hours ago, Late said:

MI0001071523.jpg?partner=allrovi.com 

Just received this yesterday, and have made it through two discs so far. Schönberg played with passion! The first two discs contain the private recordings of the string quartets that Alfred Newman arranged at United Artists studios with Schönberg's approval. If you don't mind the sound of 78s, and are already a Schönberg fan, then I'd have to say that this box is a must-have. It's recently dropped in price on eBay. (Around $33, with free shipping, as of last week.)

With Schönberg, I've always thought it necessary to have superlative sound in order to closely hear the inner workings of his compositions. This box set changed my mind. These are historical recordings (excellent for the period, actually), but the playing more than makes up for any sonic shortcomings.

Just now started the first quartet, and, yeah...passion aplenty, a getting of the music that goes deeper than the mathematics of the note choices into the underly phrase contours, the directions of the melodies, the rhythmic impetuses that drive music, any music, quite apart from notions of serialism/atonality.

Performances like this (where you find them) of Schoenberg &, especially Webern, have opened my mind to the visceral truth of this particular period of music. I've always appreciated the "intellectual" truth of it but have never really been able to "get down" with it (Berg being an exception, for some reason, Berg just naturally works for me, always has). But this...how does one not respond to this at an immediate level?

But as to these particular recording...yes. Visceral.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Just now started the first quartet, and, yeah...passion aplenty, a getting of the music that goes deeper than the mathematics of the note choices into the underly phrase contours, the directions of the melodies, the rhythmic impetuses that drive music, any music, quite apart from notions of serialism/atonality.

Performances like this (where you find them) of Schoenberg &, especially Webern, have opened my mind to the visceral truth of this particular period of music. I've always appreciated the "intellectual" truth of it but have never really been able to "get down" with it (Berg being an exception, for some reason, Berg just naturally works for me, always has). But this...how does one not respond to this at an immediate level?

But as to these particular recording...yes. Visceral.

Kolisch is a great band, great Schoenberg & great story behind the recording. Re: visceral, it was always thus but Arnold especially was victim of long-time smear campaign by simp 'conservatives' (cf. composition &/or performance practice) on one side, adulatory but dessicated epigones the other AND, latterly, recordings (esp. the later Boulez) that wanted to turn Schoenberg into a kind of ersatz ur-Webern-- this from those who'd already sucked the blood from Anton, sometimes rendering him merely a brilliant craftman, pointillist. But that was all bullshit.

While varied interpretations are welcome etc, if you're not playing Schoenberg w/ at least the gumption of peak-Wagner and Brahms, you're playing it wrong, baby.

I think I posted this elsewhere but Fred Sherry'4-tet on Naxos (under 'supervision' of Robert Craft, whatever that meant exactly) is also superb, & if ya'll have heard Fred elsewhere, you know he's no simp.

Mitropoulos cond. Orchestal Variations Op. 31, I believe this is the Berliner PO 1960, last seen on Orfeo, the Donuts can put when the Greek baldie tells 'em too!

Edited by MomsMobley
typos, time shift, typhus

53 minutes ago, MomsMobley said:

Mitropoulos cond. Orchestal Variations Op. 61, I believe this is the Berliner PO 1960 ...

Opus 31. Thanks for sharing that. Band is tight! The more I hear Mitropoulos, the more I like his work. His Mahler is fast, but it makes sense.

When it comes to Schönberg, though I've been listening closely, I still feel like an absolute rookie.

When Weimar Luminaries Went West Coast

German Archiphon issued just the quartets in 1992 in a 2-CD set, then I bought the M&A set, I think on Chuck's recommendation. The earlier transfers of these very unusual recordings are brighter but also a bit shrill, and noisier. I prefer the M&A, as warmer and more listenable and of course as Chuck says the box contains many more goodies. Nowadays the transfers could be improved but we are lucky to have them at all.

Edited by doneth
additional thought

• 4 years later...

On 1/13/2016 at 8:51 PM, Late said:

When it comes to Schönberg, though I've been listening closely, I still feel like an absolute rookie.

When Weimar Luminaries Went West Coast

thought I started a thread on this topic! I searched for "Schoenberg" and nothing came up.

A Few Notes on the recordings

If anyone can find a way to share that Fred Steiner article, it's very much worth reading. (I have a pdf, but it's too big to attach here.)