Port of Harlem Jazzmen

A record store near my house has a Mosaic LP set (the only way they issued it, right?) of the Port of Harlem Jazzmen on sale for $ 18. I've been curious about this one for a while, and have a passable--if not intense--interest in Dixieland jazz. Eighteen bucks sure seems reasonable to me if the music is good...

I would love any feedback about the content on this set that you could provide. Thanks!

Yes, I would say for investment reasons alone, that is a good deal! I've had the Blue Note US cd, and I've now the Blue Note Japan cd, and I love this material. It's almost all slow blues. . . so if those bother you (to have that much all at once does bother some) then it may not be your cup of tea, but this is really interesting music to hear, and I bet the booklet is excellent!

The Mosaic Port of Harlem Jazzmen was a gatefold LP. No booklet but good notes by Stanley Dance. The Mosaic had ten tracks by the Port of Harlem Jazzmen.

The US CD had the same ten tracks plus four tracks by Sidney Bechet with Teddy Bunn, Pops Foster and Sid Catlett, plus five tracks by Teddy Bunn on guitar. Notes were by Dan Morgenstern.

These are superb sides but don't expect high fidelity sound!

I had a burn of this one (courtesy of some nice board member :tup ) and recently bought the US BN CD (coutesy of another nice board member :tup ). Love it!

Frankie Newton is quite an interesting trumpet player! Very laid back, understated. This might be the main reason why he has not more of a big name, I guess.

ubu

I had a burn of this one (courtesy of some nice board member :tup ) and recently bought the US BN CD (coutesy of another nice board member :tup ). Love it!

Frankie Newton is quite an interesting trumpet player! Very laid back, understated. This might be the main reason why he has not more of a big name, I guess.

ubu

Newton could do a mean blues, too. Ever hear Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gave to me on Bluebird?

Poetic!

--eric

The US CD had the same ten tracks plus four tracks by Sidney Bechet with Teddy Bunn, Pops Foster and Sid Catlett, plus five tracks by Teddy Bunn on guitar. Notes were by Dan Morgenstern.

These are superb sides but don't expect high fidelity sound!

I think that the cd is out of print. I've looked for it but to no avail. Anyone know where I might find it?

I would suggest looking for the US CD version with extra tracks. You probably can buy it for about $18.

Buy the Mosaic LP, if you're a hard-core Mosaic collector or LP collector. The LP goes on ebay every so often. It doesn't seem to draw that much attention on ebay.

Really? I thought prices on the CD had gone through the roof?

Do you have any sources to get it at reasonable cost. If so, I'm there!

--eric

In whatever form get this Music. I've got the Mosaic issue-1 lp in a gatefold package-and the Music is exquisite. The fidelity is what it is. These tracks were recorded a long long time ago. But any chance to here prime Bechet should be jumped on. Again, beautiful beautiful music. Get it in any format you can.