What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Looks interesting ....

I already had the symphonies on EMI, which I enjoyed a lot. Last Christmas I had a gift certificate for Presto Classical, so I decided to pick up this new Hartmann set on Challenge Classics. It sounds great! Hartmann's symphonies are all different, which makes for a fascinating listening experience.

Edited by StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Image result for sitar concertos and other worksImage result for Zemlinsky Chailly

Sinfonietta off first and the mini-opera and two psalms off the second. There's been a good series on the BBC record review programme over the Proms weeks, surveying lesser known composers coming up in the Proms over the next week. Mainly contemporary names but today they looked at Zemlinsky (not exactly lesser known but he doesn't get out much in the British concert hall). Made me dig out these pieces from the shelves. Particularly taken by The Florentine Tragedy which wears its 'Salome' on its sleeve. 

Image result for antoni wit - penderecki: orchestral works vol. 1

A game of two halves - the relatively conventional later symphony and then several really searing early pieces (including his greatest hit). Not someone I know well but demanding a return visit soon. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Image result for farrar orchestral

Pleasant if not wildly engaging early 20thC English pastoral. A victim of The Great War who, like so many, never got to develop his style.

Image result for sally beamish the singing

Recent disc from a very approachable contemporary composer. Interesting article about how she turned from performer to composer here:

Sally Beamish: how the theft of my viola turned me into a composer

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Image result for Brahms Piano Trios hyperionImage result for zemlinsky lieder

Op 40 again from first (this time with guide book - fascinated by the folk song fragment in the third movement that returns as the main theme of the fourth. No way I'd ever have noticed that without direction). 

Image result for Alban Berg abbado wein

Marvellous music - recording suffers from an excessive dynamic range. If you turn it up to hear the vocal at normal volume you get blasted out of your seat in the loud orchestral moments. Turn it down and the voice seems distant. A frequent problem in the early digital era (though this one was recorded 15 or so years in).  

3 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Image result for Alban Berg abbado wein

Marvellous music - recording suffers from an excessive dynamic range. If you turn it up to hear the vocal at normal volume you get blasted out of your seat in the loud orchestral moments. Turn it down and the voice seems distant. A frequent problem in the early digital era (though this one was recorded 15 or so years in).  

Well we discussed the question of different bus drivers here lately .... nevertheless if you would like to hear the Berg Lieder superbly sung and and both the voice and orchestral parts recorded in fine gradation look no further than :

e2993f217edeceade7929c2f11c10e5ca5fe9813