What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing, CD 37 "Live in Japan":
Frédéric Chopin – Introduction and Polonaise for Cello and Piano in C major Op.3
César Franck – Sonata for Violin and Piano in A major M 8
Claude Debussy – Sonata for Cello and Piano
Frédéric Chopin – Sonata for Cello and Piano in G minor B.160 Op.65
— Martha Argerich (piano), Mischa Maisky (cello) (Deutsche Grammophon)

91VkyIxAfjL._SX522_.jpg  Scan%2B37.jpg

91-z-GbUZzL._SL1500_.jpg719F589mBTL._SL1200_.jpg

I was very much excited about this when I heard of this release but I am a bit underwhelmed - I do not like the sound of the room, a small church whose naked raw stone wall acoustic has a very short reverb time which kind of doubles the sound of each string plucked. I like the harpsichord, which shows that French builders of the time where up to par with the Flemish. Delage is one to watch, I am sure he will be one of the most important harpsichord players in years to come; not all of his takes on these well-known pieces do convince me, he sounds a bit rushed in some, although this suits his view of Couperin's second book as voluptuous music emphasizing sound over structure very well. I just wish the recording would have a more intimate sound, this here sounds a bit hard. Still, a very dedicated and personal vision of some great music worth a listen.

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

91-z-GbUZzL._SL1500_.jpg719F589mBTL._SL1200_.jpg

I was very much excited about this when I heard of this release but I am a bit underwhelmed - I do not like the sound of the room, a small church whose naked raw stone wall acoustic has a very short reverb time which kind of doubles the sound of each string plucked. I like the harpsichord, which shows that French builders of the time where up to par with the Flemish. Delage is one to watch, I am sure he will be one of the most important harpsichord players in years to come; not all of his takes on these well-known pieces do convince me, he sounds a bit rushed in some, although this suits his view of Couperin's second book as voluptuous music emphasizing sound over structure very well. I just wish the recording would have a more intimate sound, this here sounds a bit hard. Still, a very dedicated and personal vision of some great music worth a listen.

Thnx for sharing your impressions ....

Image result for Birtwistle neniaR-3897101-1378532899-7766.jpeg.jpgR-8788893-1468790203-5564.jpeg.jpg

Image result for bach cantatas gardiner

Disc 52: 61/62/36 for the First Sunday of Advent. Bang on the day.

This morning:

Image result for O magnum mysterium hyperion

The world is a-wash with choral Christmas discs - I particularly like this one which steers away from the standard carols. Somewhat Brexity in choice of composers - but those floating voices sound amazing early in the morning when it's still dark.  

12 hours ago, StarThrower said:

No.13 "Babi Yar"

Love those manly Russian choruses!

Wonderful piece. Would love to hear it live! Can't imagine it gets out much in these parts.

Image result for havergal brian symphonies nos 6 16 arnold cooke symphony no 3

Just the Cooke.

Image result for ailish tynan - weir: the welcome arrival of rainImage result for Schoenberg arditti

No. 2 of the latter. One of Arnie's greatest hits. I'm not totally sure what he was getting at using the line "I feel the air of another planet" in the fourth movement (it's usually explained as referring to his move out of tonality) but it's a perfect description of how you feel when you come across a style or genre of music you are quite unfamiliar with and find yourself simultaneously enthralled and utterly mystified. Beautiful piece. 

This morning:

Image result for journey of the magi painting

(still a bit early for Bing). 

MI0001075225.jpg

The pieces with electric guitar I do not care for all that much, just because I do not like the this timbre of the this guitar inside this string quartet. That's just me, and it's less than half of the music presented here. It's strictly a sonics thing, the writing itself is fine.

The other music is unqualifiedly splendid. I am finding myself being quite attracted by and drawn into Mackey's compositional world, and find in it a somewhat parallel kinship to the less..."overt" works of Henry Threadgill, Wayne Shorter, Joe Zawinul, etc. Motifs stated, orbited around, pulled back into, shot back out, that type of thing. It's the type of thing I have no trouble grasping the logic and progression of, feels like "I've been here before" or at least part of me has been to a part of here...love it when that happens.

Mieczysław Horszowski plays Bach, Mozart, Szymanowski and Chopin (BBC Magazine)
Johann Sebastian Bach – Partita No.2 BWV826
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Sonata K570
Karol Szymanowski – Mazurkas Op/50 Nos.13-16
Frederic Chopin – Nocturnes Op.27/1, Op.27/2, Op.24/2

MI0001117152.jpg?partner=allrovi.com