What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with Larry on Pollini's recordings of Schubert's late piano sonatas. I return to them more often than any of Pollini's other recordings. I think they're extraordinary.

OTOH, for me, Pollini's Chopin is just too objective, too "steely." Just my preference, of course. I much prefer Rubinstein, Moravec, Michelangeli, et al.

NP:

51lInHRpwjL._SY400_.jpg

JS Bach: The Art of the Fugue / Hermann Scherchen, Vienna SO, et al.

Scherchen made these arrangements. They're not at all HIP, but they are supremely musical.

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Earlier today .... :

R-1035153-1361717933-9663.jpeg.jpg

I saw him play opp. 11 & 19 back in March!

Just back on the Vienna concert you saw in the 70s: I wish I could see him play the Nocturnes...the DG recording is totally astonishing to me.

Interestingly on the 'steely' comment above - I guess this is an element of why I love his playing so much...I totally get that it could turn some off his Chopin etc; but by the same token, is why I think things like the Petrushka/Prokoviev 7 album are so wonderful...

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

I saw him play opp. 11 & 19 back in March!

Just back on the Vienna concert you saw in the 70s: I wish I could see him play the Nocturnes...the DG recording is totally astonishing to me.

Interestingly on the 'steely' comment above - I guess this is an element of why I love his playing so much...I totally get that it could turn some off his Chopin etc; but by the same token, is why I think things like the Petrushka/Prokoviev 7 album are so wonderful...

Didn`t want to oppose to other board members recurringly - to each his own .... but what was perceived by "HutchFan" as "steely" to me is "pure" in the sense of clear and undiluted resulting in a magnifying glass effect .... interestingly Pollini`s Schubert never touched my heart, mainly because the forementioned approach seemingly doesn`t work with this composer`s euvre - but this obviously comes down to the way I prefer to hear Schubert`s music aka with deep emotion ....

Edited by soulpope

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'm with Larry on Pollini's recordings of Schubert's late piano sonatas. I return to them more often than any of Pollini's other recordings. I think they're extraordinary.

OTOH, for me, Pollini's Chopin is just too objective, too "steely." Just my preference, of course. I much prefer Rubinstein, Moravec, Michelangeli, et al.

NP:

51lInHRpwjL._SY400_.jpg

JS Bach: The Art of the Fugue / Hermann Scherchen, Vienna SO, et al.

Scherchen made these arrangements. They're not at all HIP, but they are supremely musical.

I'm with you on the Schubert - fantastic...

Must check out those Bach arrangements...don't know them at all, but look intriguing!

Now playing, CD 41:
Johannes Brahms – Variations for 2 Pianos on a theme by Haydn Op.56b "St Anthony" version for two pianos
Sergei Rachmaninov – Symphonic Dances Op.45 version for two pianos
Franz Schubert – Rondo for Piano 4 hands in A major D.951 "Grand Rondo"
Maurice Ravel – La valse version for two pianos
— Recorded live at the 2009 Salzburg Festival 
— Martha Argerich (piano), Nelson Freire (piano) (Deutsche Grammophon)

Scan%2B41.jpg  91VkyIxAfjL._SX300_.jpg