What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

81DkNV0nqnL._SX425_.jpg

Mahler - Symphony No. 7 / Boulez, Cleveland Orchestra (DG)

Just listened to Tilson Thomas' 1999 Mahler 7th with the LSO. Perhaps the best interpretation I've ever heard, and a superb recording job too. The 7th probably is my favorite Mahler symphony, in part because it's kind of a stepchild to the others in the eyes of a fair number of Mahlerians. Also, I recall the story of Schoenberg and, I think, Berg and Webern as well listening to the Vienna premiere with ears wide open, thinking something like "Mahler wrote this for us." 

P.S.  "Arnold Schoenberg, certainly not a proliferator nor fan of uninspired correctness, was famously “converted” into a Mahlerian by the Seventh. He showered Mahler with praise after hearing the work’s premiere on Sept. 19, 1908.

“'As for which movement I liked best: All of them!' said the not normally effusive man, who was soon to unleash Erwartung on the world. 'From minute to minute I felt happier and warmer. And it did not let go of me for a single moment. In the mood right to the end. And everything struck me as pellucid. Finally, at the first hearing I perceived so many formal subtleties, while always able to follow a main line. It was an extraordinarily great treat.'”

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Just listened to Tilson Thomas' 1999 Mahler 7th with the LSO. Perhaps the best interpretation I've ever heard, and a superb recording job too. The 7th probably is my favorite Mahler symphony, in part because it's kind of a stepchild to the others in the eyes of a fair number of Mahlerians. Also, I recall the story of Schoenberg and, I think, Berg and Webern as well listening to the Vienna premiere with ears wide open, thinking something like "Mahler wrote this for us." 

Interesting. I like the Seventh very much. You can hear why artists like Schoenberg would regard it as a turning point, a new beginning.

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Interesting. I like the Seventh very much. You can hear why artists like Schoenberg would regard it as a turning point, a new beginning.

The guitar of Nachtmusik #2 gave rise to Schoenberg's Serenade. S. went on about Mahler's use of the guitar in that movement with much eloquence. “...{T]he entire movement is based on [the guitar’s] sonority. It belongs to it from the start, a living organ in the piece: not perhaps the heart, but the eyes, their gaze giving the face its characteristic aspect. We are very close here, but in a modern context, to the classical composers who built  whole works and movements around the sonority of a particular instrumental group."

I'm listening to Mahler's Seventh again today.  

Today's recording is by James Levine & the Chicago SO.

713F2lHUTKL._SX355_.jpg

As reissued in this box set:

517BdKwf85L._SY355_.jpg

I guess I have five or six recordings of this symphony.  It's always fun to compare performances.

On 7/4/2017 at 3:02 PM, soulpope said:

Thought about Mahler 7, probably will spin later this one .... :

51uwSylih0L.jpg

soulpope - I've never heard Abbado's M7 with the BPO. You're a fan?  

Edited by HutchFan

I'm listening to Mahler's Seventh again today.  

Today's recording is by James Levine & the Chicago SO.

713F2lHUTKL._SX355_.jpg

As reissued in this box set:

517BdKwf85L._SY355_.jpg

I guess I have five or six recordings of this symphony.  It's always fun to compare performances.

soulpope - I've never heard Abbado's M7 with the BPO. You're a fan?  

These late Abbado Mahler recordings do offer a lot of details and insight - (IMO) not to be missed ....

172.jpg?1497556471

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 8, 14, 26, 27 / Ivan Moravec (Supraphon)

19 hours ago, soulpope said:

These late Abbado Mahler recordings do offer a lot of details and insight - (IMO) not to be missed ....

O.K. You sold me. I just ordered it. :) 

Edited by HutchFan

172.jpg?1497556471

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 8, 14, 26, 27 / Ivan Moravec (Supraphon)

O.K. You sold me. I just ordered it. :) 

You are in for a treat .... btw Moravec/Beethoven is splendid ....

Edited by soulpope