What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing, CD 1:
Antonín Dvorák 
– Quartet for Strings No.1 in A major Op.2 B.8
– Andante appasionato for String Quartet in A minor
Karel Pribyl (violin), Bretislav Novotny (violin), Jan Sirc (cello), Lubomir Maly (viola) – Prague String Quartet (Deutsche Grammophon)

71NgUXdUccL._SY355_.jpg

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Is this DSD .... ?

No. No HR Cutting statement either.

The EU CD was on sale in the Netherlands this November and December. I bought a copy, was impressed, gave it to my parents for Christmas, and ordered the SHM-CD for myself. Why? Because I hate the flimsy digipaks DG uses in Europe these days, and because the album was recorded in Japan. I want the CD to look the same as it did today in 30 years time. Booklets are the same except the interview is now in Japanese only. Same photos. Same mastering credits. I have no reason to suspect this sounds different given the great control Zimerman exercised over the recording and mastering process (see interview in booklet). The disc I gave to my parents will now be in heavy rotation for a while, so no way of comparing one against the other.

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

No. No HR Cutting statement either.

The EU CD was on sale in the Netherlands this November and December. I bought a copy, was impressed, gave it to my parents for Christmas, and ordered the SHM-CD for myself. Why? Because I hate the flimsy digipaks DG uses in Europe these days, and because the album was recorded in Japan. I want the CD to look the same as it did today in 30 years time. Booklets are the same except the interview is now in Japanese only. Same photos. Same mastering credits. I have no reason to suspect this sounds different given the great control Zimerman exercised over the recording and mastering process (see interview in booklet). The disc I gave to my parents will now be in heavy rotation for a while, so no way of comparing one against the other.

Thnx .... agree about the dislike of Digipack releases ....but ultimately it is about the music and I eel really tempted to give it a try .....

Now playing, CD 9 from:
Claude Debussy – Cleveland Orchestra – Pierre Boulez (Deutsche Grammophon)
– Nocturnes
– Jeux
– La mer
– Première Rhapsodie for Clarinet and Orchestra – Franklin Cohen (clarinet) 

819wvZktpoL._SX450_.jpg  R-2574659-1291208528.jpeg.jpg

My bargain find of the season: I found a used, but new-looking copy of this box for $25.