What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unhappy with every Mahler 8th recording I’ve heard -- Horenstein would have been ideal, but the sound isn’t what it needs to be for these vast forces, and the celebrated in many quarters Solti/CSO is interpretatively brutal — I was prompted by this review:

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2006/07/alles-vergngliche-ozawas-mahler-eighth.html

to try the unlikely (so I thought) Ozawa/BSO recording. Bingo!

51YRBqFH68L._AC_US218_.jpg

8 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Unhappy with every Mahler 8th recording I’ve heard -- Horenstein would have been ideal, but the sound isn’t what it needs to be for these vast forces, and the celebrated in many quarters Solti/CSO is interpretatively brutal — I was prompted by this review:

My brain fills in the Horenstein recording as it does for King Oliver, etc. I will not search further.

On 2/27/2018 at 6:04 PM, Larry Kart said:

This is also my favorite M8 -- by a considerable margin.  :tup 

It's so much more subtle than other versions.  You can hear continuity with the transparent textures that reappear in Das Lied von der Erde.  I never heard the connection between these works so clearly until I heard Ozawa's recording.

NP:

517heZxzYFL._SY400_.jpg

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4, etc. / Ormandy, Philadelphia O (Sony)
IMO, the plush, luxuriant sound that Ormandy favors is a perfect match for this music. 

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

This is also my favorite M8 -- by a considerable margin.  :tup 

It's so much more subtle than other versions.  You can hear continuity with the transparent textures that reappear in Das Lied von der Erde.  I never heard the connection between these works so clearly until I heard Ozawa's recording.

NP:

517heZxzYFL._SY400_.jpg

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4, etc. / Ormandy, Philadelphia O (Sony)
IMO, the plush, luxuriant sound that Ormandy favors is a perfect match for this music. 

Speaking of Das Leid -- I just listened for the first time to the Bruno Walter/N.Y. Phil/Ernst Hafliger/Mildred Miller recording. Hafliger in the first movement is terrific -- yes. there's Wunderlich with Klemperer, but Hafliger seems to me to get right "in there" emotionally, while Fritz is more about his gorgeous soaring voice.

47 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Speaking of Das Leid -- I just listened for the first time to the Bruno Walter/N.Y. Phil/Ernst Hafliger/Mildred Miller recording. Hafliger in the first movement is terrific -- yes. there's Wunderlich with Klemperer, but Hafliger seems to me to get right "in there" emotionally, while Fritz is more about his gorgeous soaring voice.

Oh yes. I like that one too.  Walter's DLvdE with Ferrier is the recording that most folks rave about, but I actually like the Hafliger/Miller version just as much.

That said, Kubelik's live recording with Janet Baker and Waldemar Kmentt is my "desert-island" choice.

71oOPZGBx5L._SY500_.jpg

For whatever reason, Klemperer's Mahler -- including the Wunderlich/Ludwig DLvdE that you mention -- has never really grabbed me.  I like Klemps in other repertoire, but not so much in Mahler.