What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/03/2018 at 9:23 PM, soulpope said:

Are you back from the Austrian mountains :w .... ?

Oh - thank you! Yes...goodness...it’s beautiful there! And what a fantastic festival.

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

testamentsbt1473.jpg?1317154449

Love these early versions!

Heard the great man live this evening, in fact...he played the a minor etude as his third encore!

2 minutes ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

51YjIj02HmL.jpg

This version of the Sinfonietta is just incredible...

I first discovered this recording on a Vox/Turnabout reissue in 1968. I was managing a record store in Bloomington Indiana and we sold something like 400 copies. This generated a phone call from George Mendelssohn, owner of Vox.

14 minutes ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Oh yes! Though I have to let my CD player cool down before listening to more Liszt...had Ogdon on yesterday ;)

Reminds me of re-reading Haruki Murakami’s novel "Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" ....

35 minutes ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Ah - this is actually one of the few of his I haven't read yet! Now listening to the 1957 Michelangeli Royal Festival Hall recital...the Schumann in particular is incredible.

Also the Debussy from that concert has his merits ..... regarding Murakami, I`m not a completis regarding his euvry but "Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" being a perticular favourite (and - no spoiling intended - Liszt + Berman do play an important role) ....

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

And actually, on Murakami...I'd forgotten that the Janacek Sinfonietta is important in 1Q84!!!

And actually on Janacek ;), renowed writer Milan Kundera is a dedicated supporter of Alain Planes and even wrote the liner notes for his Janacek CD released on Harmonia Mundi (btw which is gorgeous) .....