What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

46 minutes ago, Olie Brice said:

Any fans of the Zehetmair Quarett here? Recent discovery for me, they're amazing,  Schuman isn't someone I listen to a lot but these performances are sublime...

Been listening to the first disc of their Beethoven / Bruckner / Hartmann / Holliger CD too.  Not completely sure what to make of their Beethoven but quite fascinated by it! Very intense and dramatic.  And the Bruckner is gorgeous.  Will get to the Hatmann and Holliger tomorrow.

zehetmair.jpeg

I bought the Schumann disc when it won a Gramophone award, but it's very good. I have never bothered to try other Zehetmair recordings until now.

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Olie Brice said:

Any fans of the Zehetmair Quarett here? Recent discovery for me, they're amazing,  Schuman isn't someone I listen to a lot but these performances are sublime...

Been listening to the first disc of their Beethoven / Bruckner / Hartmann / Holliger CD too.  Not completely sure what to make of their Beethoven but quite fascinated by it! Very intense and dramatic.  And the Bruckner is gorgeous.  Will get to the Hatmann and Holliger tomorrow.

zehetmair.jpeg

Caught them playing Schumann on Radio 3 a few months back...enjoyed it, although haven't checked out the CD!

R-9871601-1506048709-2910.jpeg.jpg

Denver Oldham - Piano Music of William Grant Still (Koch). "Bells," "Seven Traceries," Blues from Lexon Avenue," Swanee River," "Five Preludes," "Summerland from 'Three Visions'," and Africa. Africa was an orchestral piece, but the piano version on this 1991 CD was the premier recording. (The orchestral version has since been recorded.) Catherine Parsons Smith, in her book on Still, called Oldham's recording of Africa "a poorly edited and not well performed piano version." I can't speak to the accuracy of the edition, but I don't hear much wrong with the performance - maybe it's a little flat compared to the rest of the CD. But it's not bad, and the rest of the CD is excellent; it has gotten consistently good reviews.