What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Nothing to do with the music - I've enjoyed what little Nancarrow I've heard - but that cover photo looks like a mug shot.

Loks like an ID photo to me, but mug shot is a possibility - he had problems with US authorities (nothing to do with music) that led to his fleeing to Mexico.   

1433922576_WER73162.jpg

Heard these performed live (by this group, under the supervision of the composer) over a year ago, was so taken that I bought the CD in the lobby. A wonderfully engaging experience (the concert, not the purchase!). Let it sit on the shelf until yesterday, mainly to be able to put some distance between the live experience and whatever would be on the record. As it turns out, the record is just dandy!

Widmann is a significant figure among today's composer's, imo.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

1433922576_WER73162.jpg

Heard these performed live (by this group, under the supervision of the composer) over a year ago, was so taken that I bought the CD in the lobby. A wonderfully engaging experience (the concert, not the purchase!). Let it sit on the shelf until yesterday, mainly to be able to put some distance between the live experience and whatever would be on the record. As it turns out, the record is just dandy!

Widmann is a significant figure among today's composer's, imo.

Yes, this one is good, although perhaps too reliant on catchy hooks.

Listening to Dusapin quartets 6 & 7 by Arditti SQ. Great.

71Yd4bXqX%2BL._SL1200_.jpg 

I know what you mean by "catchy hooks", but I lol thinking about somebody seeing that and plunging ahead thinking it's going to be a melodyfest like such things used to be.

Actually, I think he's very good at using those things as he does. They're there but never in a normal catchy-hook fashion. He does the "recontextualizing" thing as good, if not better, than many, many people, imo.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I know what you mean by "catchy hooks", but I lol thinking about somebody seeing that and plunging ahead thinking it's going to be a melodyfest like such things used to be.

Actually, I think he's very good at using those things as he does. They're there but never in a normal catchy-hook fashion. He does the "recontextualizing" thing as good, if not better, than many, many people, imo.

I agree. Widmann is good.

Overall, there are a lot of excellent composers around these days (or perhaps as many as always, it is just that their music is recorded more often).    

Listening to Morton Feldman piano works / Ilic. I have heard quite a few versions of "For Bunita Marcus", but keep returning to this one for whatever reason.

716saDr%2BinL._SL1500_.jpg 

Edited by Д.Д.