What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

30 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Yes that is the one. Not sure where you found the image? I looked in about 7 or 8 places online without success.

However, the bottom line is that this is an outstanding CD.

Full agreement on the quality of both the ensemble and the performances ....

I've searched www.cdjapan.com with the ensemble's name and extended the search also for deleted items - this did the trick....

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, T.D. said:

How do you like that [Arjuna's Dilemma]? Looks interesting, and clips sound pretty good, but sometimes "Bang-on-a-Can" type stuff (to make an unfair generalization) can wear on me.

Proceed with confidences both positive and wary. I very much like it as a whole, but it seems like there might be sections that would have visual appeal, which you don't get here, obviously. But the parts where it careens from Carnatic melisma to operatic tenor to Bollywood scoring and then etcetc, it's pretty compelling, imo, if only becuase I('ve not heard anything quite like it - and by the time it's over, I do want to hear it again.

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Proceed with confidences both positive and wary. I very much like it as a whole, but it seems like there might be sections that would have visual appeal, which you don't get here, obviously. But the parts where it careens from Carnatic melisma to operatic tenor to Bollywood scoring and then etcetc, it's pretty compelling, imo, if only becuase I('ve not heard anything quite like it - and by the time it's over, I do want to hear it again.

Thanks. The visual thing is intrinsic to all opera, which is perhaps why I listen to opera recordings much less than I used to.

Used copies are going for a song on Amazon, so I may give it a try.

Funny, I was thinking "this piece has BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) written all over it!", googled, and found that it indeed premiered at BAM's Majestic Theater. :lol:

Video excerpt: 

Edited by T.D.

The record has much stronger performances (vocally and musically) than that video, so if you like that well enough, definitely get the record.

Had I been paying attention, I could have heard it live here!

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/opera/2017/05/04/dallas-operas-arjunas-dilemma-realizes-hindu-legend-mix-indian-western-musical-styles

I'm learning that if you can get a good DVD of an opera, go for it. Best of both worlds, or as close as it can be other than live.