What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, Larry Kart said:

Several years ago, after a good deal of comparative listening and somewhat to my surprise, I settled on the Guarneri (RCA), now o.o.p. OTOH, the last time I looked, their early, middle and late LP sets can be found on Amazon at modest prices; CDs, I dunno. Their later Beethoven traversal on Phillips I haven't heard.

Thanks Larry. I'm currently sampling Prazak, I initially wrote them off after just hearing selected movements, but I think they warrant more listening now.

9 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Ensemble Zefiro / Alfredo Bernardini - JS Bach, The Brandenburg Concertos. I like it, quite different to any other version I have heard. 

61xHxoW-XqL._SL1200_.jpg

Different in what way?

10 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Different in what way?

Listened to the beginning of Concerto 5 -- awfully fast. My wife said, "Give them the yellow flag."

43 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Got a box with ten bargain priced CDs from JPC today, all early music. This is the first I opened:

81xOxgwLHtL._SL1200_.jpg

I have other recordings of these pieces, but Mme Dévérité plays very well and the sound is great.

The same label aka Arion offers a reissue of the excellent Elisabeth Tramier DÀnglebert performances (originally released on Verany) ....

Unbenannt.png

via JPC for EURO 3.99 ....

Edited by soulpope

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Bet I have more harpsichord CDs on my shelves than you do? :g 

I bought the Tramier disc long ago.

I'm no match for sure (although have the Tramier Verany too 😎) .... my hint was meant for other forum members to take their chances on this one bargain reissue ....

32 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Number 3 at the moment. I was introduced to these recordings in a "music appreciation class" at the University of Iowa by Eldon Obrecht and they remain as favorites.

61qhYCcUf7L.jpg

Obrecht brought Gunther Schuller to our class and later regaled me with stories of Art Tatum on 52nd St. I owe him a lot. 

wow...I had a high school math teacher who go go there with math, but if there were any music faculty who could do that, I didn't have them. Quite possibly my fault, but still...people like this are our true heroes.

and he had a radio show too!!!!!

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

wow...I had a high school math teacher who go go there with math, but if there were any music faculty who could do that, I didn't have them. Quite possibly my fault, but still...people like this are our true heroes.

and he had a radio show too!!!!!

He invited me to his office to play some records and I chose Sonny's "Blue Seven". This opened all kinds of things to discuss. I will never forget it.