What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

Takacs Quartet, Beethoven Op. 127. Listening to the first  movement, which begins in a stentorian manner and than alternates between that manner and relatively softer episodes, I find it very difficult in the Takacs recording to make out much of what's going on, even at times the actual pitches, in some of the softer passages, especially after the 4:00 minute mark. It's certainly not my playback system or my hearing, because those same passages are quite clear on at least two other Op. 127 recordings, the Guarneri (RCA) and the Yale (Vanguard). Has anyone else encountered this problem with the Takacs set? 

My assumption is that the Takacs (and/or Decca's recording engineer) just got too coy for their/his own good here. If so, that would be a shame, because otherwise the performance sounds like it might be quite a good one. I recall that the original Takacs Beethoven set was issued later on in remastered form. Did the remastered version solve the problem I've mentioned? 

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

500x500.jpg

From the new Black Composers Series box. An interesting character, this guy. Among other things, including being a champion fencer, he may also have been a pain in Mozart's ass for which, if true, I should like to send him a thank-you note.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/classical/features/chevalier-de-saint-georges-the-man-who-got-under-mozarts-skin-a6859191.html