What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/10/2019 at 8:02 PM, soulpope said:

So hard to choose .... but has to be Schubert .... :

Unbenannt.png

And Beethoven .... :

Unbenannt.png

And Rachmaninov .... :

Unbenannt.png

I agree - Richter / Schubert is an interesting combination. Schumann, I think, is just a natural fit for Richter.

I am not the biggest Richter fan - find him too harsh and loud. I thought it was funny that in a documentary on him he repeatedly stresses the importance of being able to play pianissimo - and then it is repeatedly illustrated by the concert footage of him banging the piano. I am also not too interested in his core repertoire (well, I am interested in Bach, but his performances of WTK are just awful IMHO) - but I would very much recommend his Debussy (whom Richter mentioned as one of his favorite composers) and Ravel recordings. 

Richter Plays Debussy

Richter documentary: 

7 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

Did you hear other cycles, if so can you describe them character wise ?

I would like to hear your honest opinion if possible...

I have heard many other recordings of individual Sibelius symphonies, but the only other complete cycle that I know is Ashkenazy's.  

I love Ashkenazy's cycle. They were the first Sibelius recordings that really grabbed me, my gateway into his world. I've heard Ashkenazy's readings described as "Russian Sibelius," which I can understand. His approach is definitely warmer and more Romantic than what you hear from Scandinavian conductors like Berglund and Vänskä.

Barbirolli's approach is also "warm" -- which I suppose is my preference (although I think one could make an argument that it's less idiomatic than "cooler," Nordic accounts). To my ears, the biggest difference between Ashkenazy's cycle and Barbirolli's cycle is that the latter seems a shade more personal, more subjectively realized.  Some might hear that as a fault. To me, it's a positive.  That said, I'm not sure that I could have appreciated Barbirolli's cycle as much if I hadn't heard Ashkenazy's more straight-forward account first.

I hope that helps. :) 

Earlier this morning:

71z5wXbEHIL._SS500_.jpg

A very distinctive and interesting interpretation of the Symphonie fantastique.

Edited by HutchFan

On 4/11/2019 at 6:40 AM, Referentzhunter said:

Listening to Eugen Jochum's fourth of Brahms. mmw.... not bad, pretty good actually. Nice tempo's and animated also. I do hear Brahms fourth here.

511NxHNvZqL._SY355_.jpg

I agree 100%. In the "core German repertory" -- Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner -- Jochum is consistently outstanding, IMO.

I usually (but not always! ;)) prefer Jochum's recordings to those made by his more famous contemporaries who focused on the same repertory; i.e., Furtwängler, Böhm, Wand, et al. 

Edited by HutchFan

42 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I have heard many other recordings of individual Sibelius symphonies, but the only other complete cycle that I know is Ashkenazy's.  

I love Ashkenazy's cycle. They were the first Sibelius recordings that really grabbed me, my gateway into his world. I've heard Ashkenazy's readings described as "Russian Sibelius," which I can understand. His approach is definitely warmer and more Romantic than what you hear from Scandinavian conductors like Berglund and Vänskä.

Barbirolli's approach is also "warm" -- which I suppose is my preference (although I suppose one could make an argument that it's less idiomatic than more objective, "cooler" accounts). To my ears, the biggest difference between Ashkenazy's cycle and Barbirolli's cycle is that the latter seems a shade more personal, more subjectively realized.  Some might hear that as a fault. To me, it's a positive.  That said, I'm not sure that I could have appreciated Barbirolli's cycle as much if I hadn't heard Ashkenazy's more straight-forward account first.

I hope that helps. :) 

That being said i think Sibelius music is not about warmth. But i am happy we share, min or the less the same preference in music. Warmth, cocon-like feeling. So In a puristic way of thinking i am not made to be a total Sibelius fan. I heard the Askhenazy cycle a time ago and not to long ago the Ormandy cycle but both are not the world to me. But what the heck i just ordered the Barbarolli cycle because of your posting, listening etc. I hope i will enjoy parts of it. Bye the way. There is also a Barbarolli version of Sibelius's second with the Royal concertgebouw orchestra that is highly regarded. If you want cream on it maybe you have to listen to Szell's with the Royal concertgebouw orchestra. 

51wJvboNjnL._SY355_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

31 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

That being said i think Sibelius music is not about warmth. But i am happy we share, min or the less the same preference in music. Warmth, cocon-like feeling. So In a puristic way of thinking i am not made to be a total Sibelius fan.

Yeah, I've thought about that too.  Oh well.  My preferred light beer would make most Germans and Dutchmen wince, but it tastes good to me. ;) 

NP:

81U1KIle8WL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

40 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I agree 100%. In the "core German repertory" -- Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner -- Jochum is consistently outstanding, IMO.

I usually (but not always! ;)) prefer Jochum's recordings to those made by his more famous contemporaries who focused on the same repertory; i.e., Furtwängler, Böhm, Wand, et al. 

I agree Eugen Jochum has high standards in conducting but what did you mean by core German repertory ? Haydn, Beethoven and Bruckner were not German. 

But whatever European or East- middle European repertoire. :D

Just now, Referentzhunter said:

I agree Eugen Jochum has high standards in conducting but what did you mean by core German repertory ? Haydn, Beethoven and Bruckner were not German. 

But whatever European or East- middle European repertoire. :D

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT!  ;)  (This is why I put it quotation marks!)