What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

:tupOne of the better series of beethoven pianoconcerto's in my opinion and the first pianoconcerto with Eugen Jochum as conductor is majestic from what i can remember. What do you think of Pollini playing Beethoven and this serie in general ?

Bye the way, time for another listen i would say. :lol: I have the serie complete on lp exept for the fourth. Still looking.

I'm not overly fond of Beethoven's Piano Concertos overall, but believe Pollini executes a credible performance (btw better than his later effort with Abbado) .... 

8 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I have heard all the Beethoven Piano Concertos by Pollini. Enjoyable, but there are some others I prefer. My favorite versions are probably by  Rudolf Serkin. I also like Buchbinder, & Fleisher.  Freire on Concerto No.5 is marvelous. 

Was revisiting the Stephen Kovacevich recordings recently...also wonderful IMHO!

Hindemith, hell yes....

:tup Ormandy, i love the man's 'conducting'... Szell also a master. Love this reissue series for what they presenting: pretty decent versions (often older recordings) and sometimes really good performances (Ormandy/Oistrach- Sibelius or Ormandy/Entremont-Rachmaninov REFERENCE). I find them from time to time in thriftstores.

51X6RN2ECJL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

I'm not overly fond of Beethoven's Piano Concertos overall, but believe Pollini executes a credible performance (btw better than his later effort with Abbado) .... 

I am also not overly fond of Beethoven's pianoconcerto's ( i can say that by now, pretty cold as more of his music is from time to time). Don't know the Abbado version. The Japan version Eduard Von Beinum/Mitropoulos-Casadesus is pretty entertaining and has something that the other recordings i heard didn't have. I can't really say what it is... maybe some sort of virtuoso.

Edited by Referentzhunter

8 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I am very interested in listening to string quartets by classical and romantic composers not heard often enough. They may be considered 2nd tier composers, but I find the music of many of them a nice break from the quartets of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven,  Brahms, Schubert Schumann and Mendelssohn.

51NLeoEeaKL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Championed here before I really appreciate the Ferdinand Ries strIng quartet recordings by the Schuppanzigh Quartet (released on CPO) .... fabulous both playing and sound quality ...